Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to save and repeat layer effects to a different image
I'm not sure what the correct terminology is in GIMP.

That said, here's what I want to do.  Supposing I've used a number of layer effects (so, filter effects to a number of layers) to some text.

I would like to be able to somehow save those effects (or that group of effects) to apply to some different text in some different image at some other time.

So I make "ALLIE", apply some effects, and want to save those effects so that I can apply them to the text "OOPSKI", independent of the font used in the first image with "ALLIE". 

Maybe I just like the effects and want to use them on a selected squiggle that I created witha brush.  I just want to be able to save that particular group (?) of effects, to use later on something else.

Hope that makes sense.

TIA,
Allie
Quote:...I would like to be able to somehow save those effects (or that group of effects) to apply to some different text in some different image at some other time.

No replies?

Your question does make sense, in other applications it might be called a macro operation where procedures can be recorded and saved.

Nothing like that in Gimp. The usual reply is "Write a script" such script being in a programming language script-fu or python-fu. Whatever the guru's say, that is not easy.

In Gimp there are some operations that can be saved as a preset, these tend do be the colour operations, curves etc. but also the GEGL filters - those that have a G icon against them. 

That does not link a series of effects together, up to you to note the sequence but at least the filter values are saved.

There are one or two third party scripts/plugins that save settings, the notable one is gmic_gimp http://www.gmic.eu That has a host of filters (530) of all types and each with settings can be saved as a 'favorite'. Still up to you to chain various filters together although there is a 'custom code' provision which will be easier than a Gimp script.

If you give details of the types of filters/effects you use, you might get a better answer.
(02-01-2019, 08:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...I would like to be able to somehow save those effects (or that group of effects) to apply to some different text in some different image at some other time.

In Gimp there are some operations that can be saved as a preset, these tend do be the colour operations, curves etc. but also the GEGL filters - those that have a G icon against them. 
That does not link a series of effects together, up to you to note the sequence but at least the filter values are saved.
There are one or two third party scripts/plugins that save settings, the notable one is gmic_gimp http://www.gmic.eu That has a host of filters (530) of all types and each with settings can be saved as a 'favorite'. Still up to you to chain various filters together although there is a 'custom code' provision which will be easier than a Gimp script.
If you give details of the types of filters/effects you use, you might get a better answer.

Thanks so much for replying, Rich.  I did ask a similar question in a GIMP forum 2 years ago, and did receive the reply to write a script Smile

I've been looking at script-writing over the last day or so, and it doesn't look easy.  I'm not averse to tinkering and learning new skills, but I'm not sure I'm up for that, at this point.

G'mic sounds interesting.  I have downloaded it in the past, but didn't realize that I could save 'favourites'.  I don't mind writing a text file to go with my graphic listing the filters.  BITD I had to do that with PSP.

I'm thinking about effects like different types of bevel, drop shadow, inner glow, outer glow, stroke, colour, pattern or gradient, like that.  Things I'd use for text effects.  I use them a lot.  (I've been trying to set up Wine in Mint 19.04 (I think it's the latest distro), but have been having problems there.  That's an issue for a separate question.)

I'm really happy with GIMP, it does amazing things.  I'd like to stay in Linux and learn, learn, learn, rather than having to flip back and forth to the dark side ;>

Allie
Quote:I'm thinking about effects like different types of bevel, drop shadow, inner glow, outer glow, stroke, colour, pattern or gradient, like that.  Things I'd use for text effects.  I use them a lot.

That sounds a lot like the old (ancient) layerfx plugin Wink Reminded me of a recent 'cludge' to save values as presets.

see: https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php/...398#p22398  This using the last (#10) version.

There are two plugins a 'tweaked' layerfx.py and a layerfx_presets.py which shows up in the layers menu. Both go in your Gimp 2.10 Gimp profile plug-ins folder.

Very long menu divided into apply-and-save options: example the inner glow dialogue https://i.imgur.com/weAjarw.jpg
and once you have settings saved load-and-apply options: https://i.imgur.com/dReozh5.jpg

In case you try this out and need to know where the pre-sets are held - a series of text files in your home partition eg. ~/inner_glow.txt

Quote:(I've been trying to set up Wine in Mint 19.04 (I think it's the latest distro), but have been having problems there.  That's an issue for a separate question.)

Trying to get PSP installed maybe Wink I once got the last real PSP - the Jasc PSP9 up and running in WINE but I am still running (k)ubuntu 16.04