Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to turn off fuzzy selection mask?
I'm new to Gimp and cannot figure out how to get rid of a fuzzy tool selection mask I created (see attached photo).  I've tried various resets and unchecks, and shift-ctrl-A, and even uninstalled and reinstalled Gimp 2.10.  The mask is still there in the new installation.

I believe I was using the fuzzy selection (magic wand) tool so as to select all areas of a photo that are similar in color, so that I could change then all to a single color and then make this color transparent.  The cursor then changed into a dotted map of all these areas.

The problem is that I cannot figure out how to turn off the fuzzy selection map.  If I try to use the clone tool, I still get the fuzzy selection map (which moves around as I move my cursor). 

What I want to get is the usual circular clone cursor for selecting an area and then cloning with it.

I'm sorry if this is an idiot question but sure would appreciate some kind soul telling me what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Attached Files Image(s)

A selection does not survive a Select -> None  (shift-ctrl-a) Reinstalling Gimp is never a solution where the problem is the workflow. An active selection is saved in Gimp .xcf format, that is the only way it shows straight away when an image is re-opened.  From the screenshot, the selection originally came from a different layer. Is that pattern "hard-baked" into the image, maybe on one layer.

More information please. Post a screenshot showing layers and tools like this

or if you have the .xcf file, post that.
[attachment=7809][attachment=7809]
Rich,

Thank you for your reply (and the courteous way you requested additional information).

The point I failed to make in my first post is that the Magic Wand dashed outline cursor image appears when I attempt to use the clone tool on a BRAND NEW photo, just opened in a new session of Gimp, with no additional layers (as far as I understand).  This dashed outline is from a previously edited photo which is not open in Gimp at the time.

I have attached a full screen capture of the new photo being edited, also showing the tool sidebar on the left and the layer sidebar on the right.  The clone tool is selected.  In the upper left of the photo you will see the cursor (outlines) image of the Magic Wand from the previously edited photo. 

I'm seeking a way to get rid of this carryover Magic Wand cursor image from the previously edited different photo, so that I can use the clone tool on the new photo normally (i. e., with a circular copy/clone cursor image).

I hope the above is helpful and that the attached screen capture meets expectations.  Thanks again for helping.

Cheers -
Stuart

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Stuart,
this is not fuzzy select.
It shows the contours chosen for the clone tool.
Change the brush here:

and you'll be done
Same as Nelo's post

Thanks for the screenshot.

1. You are using a brush "Transparent (something or other)" have a look in the brushes dock and change from that (1) to a more regular brush. For the clone tool one of the fuzzy brushes is a good bet (2)
2. I can see problems ahead with the brush dynamics Wink Change the Pressure Opacity setting to Dynamics OFF (3)

Why does this happen after you have reset everything and even reinstalled Gimp ?
3. That only looks like a selection. It is not a selection.
4. Gimp keeps the last settings used in your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\ which remains between installation. Which is why reinstalling rarely fixes any problems.
5. You can delete that brush, right click on it delete brush.
(04-22-2022, 03:04 PM)nelo Wrote: Hi Stuart,
Change the brush here:

and you'll be done

Rich and Nelo, words cannot describe how good it feels to have this problem solved.  I can now get back to doing useful work in Gimp, rather than frustrating myself fumbling around for an hour trying to get rid of the old contours created when I used the Magic Wand on an entirely different photo.  Thanks to each of you so much for educating me.

As a new user, I do feel compelled to comment, with the hope that doing so leads to some change in Gimp that will help prevent other new users from the problem:
  1.  It seems highly unlikely to me that, in most cases, a user who created Magic Wand contours for photo "A" would want to apply them to any  other subsequent photo.
  2.  It is also seems confusing to new users to think of these contours as being the paintbrush shape for using the clone tool, especially if these old contours get automatically applied to a new photo being edited.
  3.  It would make more sense to me if, by default, the clone tool is automatically reset to its default shape when Gimp is launched.  I don't think this would create a hardship for experienced users.  If I am wrong, perhaps this could be handled through a Gimp preferences option... the default being the automatic reset of the clone default shape, but the user having the option to set it to "retain current clone shape on exiting Gimp."

I hope the above does not sound snarky; I only mean to suggest a possible improvement if it makes sense to the powers that be.  If you disagree, please do not feel compelled to respond, as I have already taken enough of your valuable time.  Thanks again.

Cheers -
Stuart
(04-22-2022, 11:35 PM)AVLSTU Wrote:   3.  It would make more sense to me if, by default, the clone tool is automatically reset to its default shape when Gimp is launched.  I don't think this would create a hardship for experienced users.  If I am wrong, perhaps this could be handled through a Gimp preferences option... the default being the automatic reset of the clone default shape, but the user having the option to set it to "retain current clone shape on exiting Gimp."

I hope the above does not sound snarky; I only mean to suggest a possible improvement if it makes sense to the powers that be.  If you disagree, please do not feel compelled to respond, as I have already taken enough of your valuable time.  Thanks again.

Cheers -
Stuart

Not snarky, but I'm thinking that every one should use GIMP your way, or GIMP should be how you envision it, thus it's not an improvement.
Did you asked yourself if long time ago and for many years people were asking to the GIMP team that GIMP should be able to recall the last tool used or brush type like that when re-opening GIMP they do NOT have to search in a plethora of brushes the last one they have used?

Having said all that, it should reset by default, you did something  Big Grin
Go to Edit ➤ Preferences a new window opens Tool Options and un-check that box saying Save tool options on exit then click the OK button. You can also reset all the tools to default on the same screen.

(04-22-2022, 11:35 PM)AVLSTU Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 03:04 PM)nelo Wrote: Hi Stuart,
Change the brush here:

and you'll be done

Rich and Nelo, words cannot describe how good it feels to have this problem solved.  I can now get back to doing useful work in Gimp, rather than frustrating myself fumbling around for an hour trying to get rid of the old contours created when I used the Magic Wand on an entirely different photo.  Thanks to each of you so much for educating me.

As a new user, I do feel compelled to comment, with the hope that doing so leads to some change in Gimp that will help prevent other new users from the problem:
  1.  It seems highly unlikely to me that, in most cases,  a user who created Magic Wand contours for photo "A" would want to apply them to any  other subsequent photo.
  2.  It is also seems confusing to new users to think of these contours as being the paintbrush shape for using the clone tool, especially if these old contours get automatically applied to a new photo being edited.
  3.  It would make more sense to me if, by default, the clone tool is automatically reset to its default shape when Gimp is launched.  I don't think this would create a hardship for experienced users.  If I am wrong, perhaps this could be handled through a Gimp preferences option... the default being the automatic reset of the clone default shape, but the user having the option to set it to "retain current clone shape on exiting Gimp."

Cheers -
Stuart

This can be done, see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managi...-positions
(04-23-2022, 11:32 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(04-22-2022, 11:35 PM)AVLSTU Wrote: ..snip..
  3.  It would make more sense to me if, by default, the clone tool is automatically reset to its default shape when Gimp is launched.  I don't think this would create a hardship for experienced users.

This can be done, see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Managi...-positions

Basically, what I have since Gimp 2.8 was released.  Set up Gimp the way I want it, then fix as above using Edit > Preferences.
Maybe missing from Ofnuts post, Gimp 2.10 also needs in Edit -> Preferences -> Input Devices untick Save input device settings on exit and click on Save input device settings now
And before all that, lock the docks in position from the tab drop down menu Wink
Ofnuts and Pixlab, thank you both for pointing out the Preferences change. And, I agree that what I suggested as an improvement to Gimp is unnecessary given what you told me.

Gimp is clearly a very feature rich program and the problem is me, not the program. I made the mistake of thinking I could just dive in and use it, given that this has been successful for me with some other software. I took this approach because I am only a casual (infrequent) user of Gimp. But, what I really need to do is step back and find a good tutorial for new users that will give me a better grounding.

I'll sign off of this thread, but not before again thanking everyone who has been so gracious with their time and assistance, and so helpful and thoughtful in their replies.

Cheers -
Stuart