Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to write Chinese
I have been looking for already made practice sheet for learning to write Chinese. They either cost money or have random characters, and usually those that cost money are also missing random yet important characters.

My goal is to have:
1) Something that looks like the attached picture. The one on the right is pretty good, but I would like all the like to be dotted. Besides that I would like that the centre looks neat (the one on the left has a strange centre). 
So my questions are very basic usage of Gimp I guess.
a) How do I make the frame to be a perfect square?
b) How do I make the horizontal and vertical lines perfectly in the middle?
c) How do I make dotted lines?
d) How do I make the diagonal lines perfectly from corner to corner?
e) How do I make the centre of where all the lines meet look nice?

If someone knows of a tutorial on how to get the job done please refer me to one. 
I did all of this 15 years ago on Windows XP/7 version of a Corel Paintshop Pro. But later my computer got stolen and I lost all of it. Corel then made it impossible to use the version I had paid for on Windows 10, so then I decided to go with Gimp, but I have forgotten many of the techniques I learned back then and now I am also using a different program.

If you don't know on any tutorial that can help me do this, then please let me know where I can upload a tutorial. I would love to share how to do it as I am learning it.

When I am done with this step then I will post about the next step in my "how to write Chinese"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Very easy with paths.

First you create two guides that are centered in the picture, and you set View  ➤ Snap to canvas edges (View ➤ Snap to guides is also necessary but should already set).

Then you create three paths. For each path, you create a rough shape, and then you drag the anchors to where they should be (and the snapping you have set previously will make this very easy).

You then stroke the paths. The paths are stroked with the foreground color and in the Line mode you can pick a continuous or dashed line.

Note that when stroking the square, since the path defines the center of the line and
 since this center is on the edge of the image, half the line won't be rendered, so you have to specify  aline width that is the double of what you want.

Well Gimp 2.10 is a bit different from PSP7  

Another way using the rectangular selection tool. Two parts - (1) make a canvas the size required and stroke selection and also paint. (2) On a larger canvas, set up a grid to position the selection, and same as before, stroke selections ...

A video demo, https://youtu.be/3U6zqbj3p-0   7 min 30 seconds.

Thank you very much

I have been very busy the last few weeks. Whenever I had some time I tried working on it. I needed to use several techniques mentioned in your comments. To make the diagonals I needed to use layers and only make the path halfway then duplicate and rotate the layer, otherwise the center of the diagonals would look very random.

Now I think I have found out how to do the "easy part". So I will make a new post about the more "tricky" but also more important parts.