Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Howto select/erase Chaff aka Pixel debris
Longshot, but figured I'd try...

I have an antique record album cover with some cool line-art/graphics, trying to restore a crisp clear rendering, absent some faded or smudged patches and coffee stained areas. The largest and most valuable object is a sort of hand-rendered wire-frame BW image of a guy in a tuxedo sitting and playing an imaginary curved grand-piano keyboard. Using the magic wand and color select tools with different thresholds, I can get about 95% of what matters, leaving 5% in the form of tiny pixel islands (debris) left over from threshold selections, scattered inside tight spaces, which can only be removed (AFAIK) by carefully erasing them one by one.

Not a show-stopper, but if there's a way to do it I haven't found, would appreciate any suggestions.
If you can make a selection that includes them (select by color):

- Make the selection
- Select>To path
- Use ofn-path-filter-strokes to remove/keep the tiny bits in the produced path
- Make a selection from the filtered path
- Possibly grow/shrink the selection by 1 pixel
- Apply some fix on the selection (bucket-fill, median blur on 2.10, gaussian blur... )

ofn-path-filter-strokes can be found here.
(06-26-2019, 07:05 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you can make a selection that includes them (select by color):

- Make the selection
- Select>To path
- Use ofn-path-filter-strokes to remove/keep the tiny bits in the produced path
- Make a selection from the filtered path
- Possibly grow/shrink the selection by 1 pixel
- Apply some fix on the selection (bucket-fill, median blur on 2.10, gaussian blur... )

ofn-path-filter-strokes can be found here.

Thanks very much!