Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am new just my photo on back ground
Hi I am new to this.

I have a nice photo of myself and with gimp I have cut out the backgrounds and I think the background is now transparent.
The photo is w1008 x h961

I want to add the photo with the transparent background to a larger background -  w18 66 x h9 61

I have saved a background of this size in white and would like to change it to colour that I would like and then put my picture with the transparent background on the top.

I would really like some help to achieving this because I'm getting nowhere.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
Several ways to do what you require. One way

Use Image -> Canvas Size to increase the width to 1866  Other settings in there: Center / All layers / Transparency

Add a new layer: Layer -> New Layer. Bucket Fill that layer with color.

Move that new layer under the first layer. 

If complete, you can merge down. That is done automatically when you export as a jpeg or a png.

A quick animation of that: https://i.imgur.com/ZieqrHt.mp4
You can be sure it is a transparent background if, in Gimp it shows a checkered pattern in the empty area/background now; and you have the alpha channel selected, save as a png.
Another way would be to put your new background down and make it the colour you prefer then put your saved imaged on top a using the move tool place where you want - It will automatically go to the centre.

Smile
I meant to say put your saved image on top as a layer, then making sure that is selected in the layers dialog move it to the desired position

Smile