Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't understand how to use difference clouds, or achieve a similar result
Hello, I am trying to apply a difference clouds effect to a specific section of green on my canvas. Right now I'm following a tutorial on Teardown's heightmaps, and they use a difference clouds effect to give the grass layer some texture:
https://youtu.be/aQviv2BuP2c?t=351
This link is timestamped to 5:51, where he uses this effect.
Unfortunately, this tutorial was done in photoshop, and so I can't follow along very easily. I've looked at other forum posts, youtube videos, talked to friends, and I just can't figure out how to use this effect. One source said that the way to do this is to use a solid noise filter on a layer whose mode is set to Difference. This was my best lead, but it turned all the grass pink, and I'm not sure why. 
So to be more clear, I'm asking if there is a way to achieve this effect or something similar in gimp. The grass layer must maintain a red and blue value of 0, or else it will interfere with other aspects of the heightmap. Linked is my current project, so that you can have a better idea of what I'm trying to do.
Quote:...The grass layer must maintain a red and blue value of 0, or else it will interfere with other aspects of the heightmap. Linked is my current project, so that you can have a better idea of what I'm trying to do...

Well, I was going to post an example ([ https://i.imgur.com/8SEKogu.jpg ) but how can you have a layer that is shaded and still retain R & B = 0 ?

No link to your current project showing

Edit: Answering my own question, You can if Green is pure Green (not a guessed grass-type green)

Attached Gimp xcf.gz with two possibilities Solid noise layer in multiply mode / difference clouds layer in linear-burn mode

Attached Files
.gz   grass.xcf.gz (Size: 243.19 KB / Downloads: 105)
Terribly sorry about the missing link, I thought I had added the image as an attachment but it's not showing up for me either. But you are correct, it is a pure green layer, and again I apologize for not making that clear.
Both of these suggestions worked, but I will have to do some research to understand why they work, lol. Thank you!