Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love Linux
Heart 
GF.n was a bit behind, software-updates-wise (like 13 successive kernel updates, 106 packages, 3 months, shame, shame, Blush ). So:

Code:
apt update
apt upgrade
*cross-fingers*
shutdown -r now

A grand total of 5 minutes and 20 seconds, and 20 seconds of forum interruption (from shutdown to forum available again).
You are a hero.
(09-29-2017, 07:24 AM)rich2005 Wrote: You are a hero.

I'm standing on the shoulder of giants Smile
Cool...
I don't think i can update my forum because a lot of custom things might stop working.
So I am just gonna leave it on the version it's on...
Unless there's away to update while keeping the old copy just in case, so i can test the new version
Ah well i better not touch it.
I don't think gimpchat.com has been updated since whatever version it's on.
(10-01-2017, 03:40 PM)trandoductin Wrote: Cool...
I don't think i can update my forum because a lot of custom things might stop working.
So I am just gonna leave it on the version it's on...
Unless there's away to update while keeping the old copy just in case, so i can test the new version
Ah well i better not touch it.
I don't think gimpchat.com has been updated since whatever version it's on.

Which is one of the reasons I avoid all the plugins and local mods. Otherwise to update the forum:

1. take a copy of the current /var/www tree 
  2. unzip a copy of the old "standard" version of the forum in another directory
  3. unzip a copy of the new "standard" version of the forum in another directory
  4. use a file compare/merge utility to spot your changes from the standard and the updates from old to new
  5. merge your changes to the new version
  6. copy merged version to /var/www. If something bad happens, you still have the copy made in step 1.
Kdiff3 in Linux can compare 3 directory trees, coincidence?

But... not updating your software is leaving it open to people who can take advantage of recently discovered vulnerabilities. But I suppose this is more important for G-F.n (on its own server, so we have to take care of the full stack) than on yours (if you are on a shared server).
Too much work. Last time i updated I had to fix a bunch of stuff.
I think i'll just leave it and pray that no one tries to hack me if there are vulnerabilities.
If someone hacks me, I'll ... cry!
I saw spam on the previous forum. There really is a lot of spam, in almost every section of 20 topics
(10-07-2017, 03:37 AM)gbarkovalev Wrote: I saw spam on the previous forum. There really is a lot of spam, in almost every section of 20 topics

Yes, see https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-The-be...of-the-end