Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iconify issue ?
I am currently creating icons for Windows 11. To make it have the exact size of the default folder, I took a screen shot of the Extra Large Icon and drew over it using Inkscape. It has dimensions 179x141. But when I use GIMP + Iconify script which I got from here, the resultant ICO, when applied to a " New Folder " is slightly bigger than the default folder.

I tried numerous adjustments to the file size to correct this. Even used 2 other programs called Axilalis Icon Workshop and SimplyIcon. But in the end, no matter what I do, the ICO does not give the same size as the default folder.

It would be nice to know what is going wrong. Thanks.

PS : Attaching the PNG and ICO

Attached Files
.zip   179 141.zip (Size: 24.48 KB / Downloads: 169)
A Windows .ico uses square images with set sizes - 16x16 up to 256x256so your png should be square.

The iconify plugin does this by an autocrop followed by a resize so it is square. 
What you need to do is disable that autocrop on line 62 (done it for you, zipped and attached)

Then you need to resize your png canvas so it is 1) square 2) filled with transparency Use Image -> Canvas Size

Now when you run the iconify script it gives this:

That might still not be correct, the problem might be the original procedure for making the png. I would have expected a margin of some sort on all sides

That is simple enough but for future icons from Inkscape set the page size to 256 x 256 in  File -> Document Properties and check when you go to File -> Export PNG image.

Attached Files
.zip   iconify.zip (Size: 2.2 KB / Downloads: 133)
I tried using 512px canvas in Inkscape and using it. But that gave very big icons compared to the default ones. That is why I drew over an Extra Large default folder icon so that I can get the exact size. I used it on a 512x512px canvas than 256px and then applied Iconify. But using real size image without a transparent area gave better results.

I will try this method and update. Thanks for the script Smile

@rich2005, it appears much smaller now

Here is the preview of the New Folder after using the icon from the new Iconify script. Thanks

When I use 256px only ICO, it gives a perfect fit for Large and Extra Large. ie, no Iconfiy, just export the 256px canvas as .ico. Attaching the same.

But the smaller size icons are very small. Possibly because they are not included.

I think the attached image plus the last provided Iconify script is working fine.

Attached Files
.zip   rich.zip (Size: 13.77 KB / Downloads: 95)
.zip   256 only.zip (Size: 5.51 KB / Downloads: 105)
.zip   working.zip (Size: 34.23 KB / Downloads: 98)
Quote:...I think the attached image plus the last provided Iconify script is working fine.
Only just seen that, however:   You know I hate using Windows.  You can easily extract Windows icons. Do a search for it.

This is a Win10 folder icon, although for some reason on its side (??) If you look at the sizes not a full range, 16x16 32x32 48x48 + the 256x256 image. Small sizes were used in older Windows but does anyone use them these days ?

256x256 into Gimp and rotated. This what I meant about expecting to see a margin and as a comparison your 179x141 px icon on top. I think rebuilding in Inkscape the problem then the iconify.scm autocropping does not help.

Attached the extracted iconify layered icon file.

Attached Files
.zip   win-10-folder.zip (Size: 6.03 KB / Downloads: 152)
Thanks @rich2005

I used a software called Axialis Icon Workshop. When I exported as ICO, it works fine for the same image except for List and Details in Windows 11. So it has to be something related to the Iconify script. I am thankful that it exists and gives very close to what I want. But if it can be precise somehow, it would have been nice. Axiailis is paid software. I am using the trial version now.

I was making those in Ubuntu. I am helping others with custom icon requests, for free.

Attaching a valid Windows 11 icon, extracted from .dll file

Attached Files
.zip   imageres_3.zip (Size: 29.12 KB / Downloads: 89)
Quote:..So it has to be something related to the Iconify script..

As I explained, the original script autocrops (removes any uniform margins) before scaling to the various sizes. Disabling autocrop stops that happening.

Quote:But if it can be precise somehow, it would have been nice. Axiailis is paid software. I am using the trial version now.

Not much that I know of in linux software, try http://greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php
For Windows more choice have a look in https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?sc=111
Thanks. I will try that software. Sadly, the modified script is also not able to provide the exact size. Not an issue, just reporting.
Quote:Sadly, the modified script is also not able to provide the exact size. Not an issue, just reporting.

What exactly do you mean by that?  Windows icons are square. If you put in something that is not square then it will be made square.  It is up to you to make sure the image comes with correct sized margins.
The only error both scripts show was a slightly higher size. I am attaching an image that worked perfectly with Axialis. You can see first-hand what I mean if you have Windows 11.

Greenfish works fine except for small icons. But I guess that is because I am not able to export it as pack. Need to understand the software. Thanks a lot for finding it. :crown
Zero chance of me using Windows 11. Best I have (or want) is a Win10 VM There is a little difference between the blue Win 10 folder icon I extracted and your Win 11 icon The Win10 slightly deeper.  Since both come from MS then both must be correct. 

This is what I mean about up to you to set some correct margins. Your original 179x141 folder drawn in inkscape needs to be in a 204x204 canvas for it to scale to the same size as your 256x256 Win 11 icon. 
...but then you need to know in advance what the folder dimension are. Obviously not 179x141 Wink