Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Import Path
Is there a script to import more than one path into Gimp
The question you ask does not clarify what you want to do. From where do you want to import paths ? Do you want to import SVG files as paths ?
(02-17-2022, 12:09 PM)denzjos Wrote: The question you ask does not clarify what you want to do. From where do you want to import paths ? Do you want to import SVG files as paths ?

Ok, did not explain very wel

Want to import *.svg files (about 10) all at once into new cxf project into paths.  Want to import them from my laptop  C:\ drive
Sounds like a plugin request for Ofnuts.

In the meantime Do you have the vector program Inkscape installed ? This can be used as a workaround although 10 paths ? might not be any quicker.

With a new document, import the paths all at once into inkscape. Then save the inkscape file as a plain svg (not an Inkscape svg)

That single svg imports into the Gimp paths dock and keeps the original paths separate.
(02-17-2022, 01:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Sounds like a plugin request for Ofnuts.  

In the meantime Do you have the vector program Inkscape installed ?  This can be used as a workaround although 10 paths ? might not be any quicker.

With a new document, import the paths  all at once into inkscape. Then save the inkscape file as a plain svg (not an Inkscape svg)

That single svg imports into the Gimp paths dock and keeps the original paths separate.

Let me try it

(02-17-2022, 01:28 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Sounds like a plugin request for Ofnuts.  

In the meantime Do you have the vector program Inkscape installed ?  This can be used as a workaround although 10 paths ? might not be any quicker.

With a new document, import the paths  all at once into inkscape. Then save the inkscape file as a plain svg (not an Inkscape svg)

I can only import one file at the time with incscape
go to import..
choose your first file, press SHIFT key, choose the last one
ok
Unfortunately that does not work in the paths dock
Right click - Import Path only one at a time.
also
Open as Layers with the import path enabled does not work either.  Renders the path but no path in the paths dock. Very annoying.  I suppose it is because the Gimp path svg is a very simple format.

That Inkscape work-around I suggested is not looking too clever, seems to stack the paths one over the other. Not much use.

In linux command line cat name1.svg name2.svg name3.svg ....nameN.svg > combined.svg  concatenates the files into one svg that works
In Windows (I believe, not tried it) a terminal command  type  name1.svg name2.svg name3.svg ....nameN.svg > combined.svg is the equivalent. Hardley worth the effort for 10 files.

Edit: As an example of linux cat attached 10 files combined to a file new.svg.

Attached Files
.svg   new.svg (Size: 11.3 KB / Downloads: 69)
(02-17-2022, 02:55 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Unfortunately that does not work in the paths dock
Right click - Import Path only one at a time.
also
Open as Layers with the import path enabled does not work either.  Renders the path but no path in the paths dock. Very annoying.  I suppose it is because the Gimp path svg is a very simple format.

That Inkscape work-around I suggested is not looking too clever, seems to stack the paths one over the other. Not much use.

In linux command line cat name1.svg name2.svg name3.svg ....nameN.svg > combined.svg  concatenates the files into one svg that works
In Windows (I believe, not tried it) a terminal command  type  name1.svg name2.svg name3.svg ....nameN.svg > combined.svg is the equivalent. Hardley worth the effort for 10 files.

Edit: As an example of linux cat attached 10 files combined to a file new.svg.

A nee, I using Windows

Ofnuts, Is it possible to do a script for it.
Yes and no. There is an API to import paths. However the script will need a file selector, and the file selector will only accept a single file at a time. The other option is to accept a directory and blindly import all the SVG that it contains. While if you just concatenate the files in a command prompt it works just as well and you can specify the individual files (and if you want to repeat the process, you just re-use the concatenated file).