Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Importing color index from .PNG?
I'm quietly new to GIMP Software even I have long history in Free and open Software and Linux World under GNU License and photography and some stuff in commerical image processing tools.

I started to takeover GIMP advanced use by reading book "GIMP Bibile" and i stucked to Color index with Google keywords "Disney Color Index" and "Super Mario Bros Color Index".

I understood that I can convert color index from ie. RGB to indexed so little bit fun for Christmas Day I'm try to comvert some of my images to Original Disney Colors.

There's a website under "Colorscheme.com" -domain name where visitor can download color index in .PNG format. My Question is How to import Color Index from .PNG -format to my active GIMP -project.

Example straight link reference to "Classic Disney Color Scheme" @ Colorscheme.com
Classic Disney Color index @ ColorScheme.com
Quote:...There's a website under "Colorscheme.com" -domain name where visitor can download color index in .PNG format. My Question is How to import Color Index from .PNG -format to my active GIMP -project...

Some possibilities

1. Use the values from the png colour swatch and edit the colourmap of any particular indexed image. The color map dock is in Windows -> Dockable dialogues  and Edit comes from there.

2. In Gimp a colormap cannot  be separated from its indexed image but it is inherited by any added image. Open as new layer (or drag-n-drop) over an indexed image and the colourmap is applied (RGB images are converted to indexed).

3. What can be saved from the png colour swatch is a palette. From the palette dock (Windows -> Dockable dialogues again). Use that when converting a RGB image to Indexed. 

4. Other ways: There are several ways for RGB-only images. One is Tools -> GEGL Operation -> Color Warp example:  https://i.imgur.com/Ok8oCkw.jpg 
or 
Third party plugins such as gimp_gmic_qt http://www.gmic.eu  Try transfer colors (PCA) & (Variational) example using the png color swatch as the reference image. https://i.imgur.com/BGbCWZE.jpg
rich2005

Thank you for very handful answer with helpful screenshots. I was thinking about some additional third-party plugin maybe there's a one or two for my purposes but then ended up with your first solution choice. Disney Classic Color Palette have only six different colours and it takes no long time to add them one by one after first converting my own official portrait to vector graphics from RGB-bitmap mode and restricting indexed colour palette down to six.

Conclusion for my empirical Colour Palette indexing practice is the more palette index have colours the more time-consuming it can be when you add coulours one by one.

Have to discover other your answer options and alternative ways to have same job to be done and perhaps try out some third party plug-in if there's in at least one in existence out of the world and perhaps after then I might have some ingredidents to create some guide referenced to your given alternative ways to do the job with pros and cons seperated in each of them.
By the way "rich2005" - administrator, just for joking myself continued by following shootout:

It's good to be man on top as administrator or root of own system even if it's mentioned for public audience but Additional to you answer to my original question, I really like semantics of your good answering post piece!

Your sample pictures at your helpful screenshots have Peanuts comics under processing in your active window with Disney Classic color scheme palette! Awesome!

"Peanuts" is not branch or immaterial property of Walt Disney at least present world. Snoopy dog and Peanuts world is founded by Charles M. Schlutz and I don't know if he ever have had any connection with Walt Disney Imperium or business (Turned out the legendary busniess brand after Walt Disney physic death or even during his lifespan). Maybe not, and Snoopy Dog is really nice bealge-raced dog friendshipped with Charles "Charlie" Brown. Name of Charles or nickname Charlie is very near to inventor Charles by fictional comic charachter creator Charles's first name.

By the way, I've been familiar with Star Wars first three movies parts 4-6 since my early childhood and I believed George Lucas is the Star Wars imperium branch property owner till the end before the deal with Walt Disney became out for movie and entertainement news press.

Where your Disney-schemed coulured Peanut-Snoopies processed images can lead in future what can make things happeng arised way with Walt Disney Stock price (It becoming expotential growth, I really can imagine if Walt Disney marketing and legal advissories see your answer and get an idea to invest on Peanuts branch). Great!
Not peanuts it is a "Miss Peach" that I once used as 'desktop' in Win 3 just to remind myself that "Things are not always what they seem to be" Wink Still worth remembering. - yritä pitää aihe
(12-25-2020, 01:08 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Not peanuts it is a "Miss Peach" that I once used as 'desktop' in Win 3 just to remind myself that "Things are not always what they seem to be" Wink Still worth remembering.    -   yritä pitää aihe

Refering to Finnish Wikipedia knowledge: "Tenavat comics English synonym and translated in Finnish Markets is ""Peanuts"". I'm not sure your native language is it US EN but Miss Peach can be leaded from "Peanuts" Pea, Peach, Miss Peach friend of Charlie Brown some kind of variation in Miss Peach's world.

On the side path "Miss Peach is related to some exotic delicious fruit grown up some tree on some Caribean paradise island. If "Peach" -word is attached to miss preword or prefix for additional definition for this juicy fruit, it means some forbidden treasure that you cannot touch with your finger down at the world of women.

Ok. I'm gonna lose my mind out of topic and get back in business with staying on this importing colour palette topic related to my original question if there will be some new aspects appealing for this thread. "Palaan aiheeseen ja unohdan tämän sivupoluilila harhailun".
My Apologies for messing up between Peanuts and Miss Peach. Fast Overviewing your sample picture seemed to be like Peanuts strip, but closer look at next Morning I became sure for Comic-world you used, it's really Miss Peach created by Lazarus Mell. I'm over and out, Roger for this sidepath.