Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Inches Grid
Smile 
Hello,    Cool
I changed to inches; but would like to use 1/2  1/4      1/8     1/16  etc.
The default is set to tenths.    Where is the preset to change this?
Thank you.
Terry    Smile
Welcome to gimp-forum.net.

AFAIK there is no way of displaying the rulers in fractions of an inch.

The best bet probably is set up a grid in fractions, this one in 1/8" (0.125")

[Image: eumS9GW.jpg]

A grid can be set up either globally, Edit -> Preferences -> Configure Grid or on a per image basis, Image -> Configure Grid
If the default style is too obtrusive change the colour and line style. Visibility is toggled on/off, View -> Show Grid.

The grid is not part of the image, it only exists in 'Gimp space'. When you save your image as a Gimp .xcf the grid settings are saved with the image.

edit: Remember, Gimp is a raster (bitmap) editor which only works in pixels even when displaying other dimensions. For drawing in real-world, inches/feet metres/millimetres ... a vector application say, LibreCAD or Inkscape is recommended.
there is a pull down menu on the bottom row - first item on the left

you can pick centimeters, pixels, inches & others

there is a down arrow
(01-07-2019, 02:12 AM)Terry50 Wrote: there is a pull down menu on the bottom row - first item on the left

you can pick centimeters, pixels, inches & others

there is a down arrow

Indeed there is, shown in the screenshot at the bottom. What it does not do is set the spacing of the grid to something compatible with inches (and your image ppi if the intention is printing).
A reminder,  Gimp is a raster editor that uses pixels.
As in previous post, use Edit -> Preferences -> Default Image -> Default Grid for settings that apply globally.
or
Image -> Configure Grid for image by image settings.
sorry, my bad.
I think Inkscape is a free download.