Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increase Image Size
Hey,

I want to scale a 1600 x 1200 image to 4800 x 3600 with little to no quality loss, I'm currently using GIMP 2.10.14. Any tips?
You will have 9x more pixels, but still the same amount of information, so you cannot avoid the image becoming blurry.

If the image simple (logo/text) it can be converted to vector and then scaled indefinitely.
Hello Oshayh
You don't say if the images are png or jpg
png are at set to get good results - I don't know if the default settings can be be stepped up to improve
jpg is set to 85% for most users - I step it up to 100% and get very good results

Quote:Posted by Ofnuts

You will have 9x more pixels, but still the same amount of information, so you cannot avoid the image becoming blurry.

too reduce a small amount of blurriness you could try - Filters > Gmic > Details > Sharpen [ Octave Sharpening ] - at default setting -this should reduce a small amount of blurriness don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed
100% quality for JPG is totally useless, unless you want to test your mass storage. It will be 33% bigger than 99% quality with no visible difference. And at this level of quality the chroma sub-sampling that you don't mention is at least as important.
The file type is .PNG, it's a wordmark.
(04-09-2020, 05:58 PM)oshayh Wrote: The file type is .PNG, it's a wordmark.

Create an SVG vector image from the .png  If the image is not too complicated use Gimp, trace the outline with the path tool. The path can be scaled and re-colored at the new size.
If a bit more complicated then an application such as Inkscape or an on-line convertor such as https://www.pngtosvg.com/ should get a result.