Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ink tool: can I make it get thinner instead of thicker?
I love the ink tool (the calligraphy pen): a slow movement is a thick like, and a fast movement is thin, just like using a quill pen. But for drawing I need the opposite: when quickly drawing a person's arm I need a thick line, but when I slow down to draw the fingers I need it thinner. Is there some way to do that?

(Using Gimp 2.8.16 on Linux Mint)
(02-28-2018, 03:44 PM)tolworthy Wrote: I love the ink tool (the calligraphy pen): a slow movement is a thick like, and a fast movement is thin, just like using a quill pen. But for drawing I need the opposite: when quickly drawing a person's arm I need a thick line, but when I slow down to draw the fingers I need it thinner. Is there some way to do that?

(Using Gimp 2.8.16 on Linux Mint)

Maybe you should be using the brush instead, with an reverse Velocity->Size dynamics:

(02-28-2018, 04:06 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(02-28-2018, 03:44 PM)tolworthy Wrote: I need a thick line, but when I slow down I need it thinner.

Maybe you should be using the brush instead, with an reverse Velocity->Size dynamics:

Thanks for the tip! How do I make a brush editable? The options are all grayed out and won't respond. https://imgur.com/a/O5CKo
[Image: O5CKo]
[Image: O5CKo]
You can't change the standard brushes, you have to make a copy (and for the "parametric" brushes you can just create a new one).
That's perfect! Thanks!

For any other noobs like me, this is how you create a new dynamic:

Select a brush tool. -> find the "dynamics" field -> click the big blue arrow -> at the bottom of the list dialog, click ANOTHER big blue arrow -> at the top is is a tiny arrow fo the configure menu. This lets you duplicate a dynamic. You can then edit the new one. Phew!