Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing refocus
I am not that tech-savvy. But using Gimp happily for enhancing my photographs. Wish to install refocus. I downloaded the package and unzipped. Found the plugin folder to place the extract. It does not work perhaps I am missing something. I do not know how to run ./configure or something. I appreciate if someone could help me in this. 

Thanks and Regards
(12-05-2023, 08:26 AM)harshamutu Wrote: I am not that tech-savvy. But using Gimp happily for enhancing my photographs. Wish to install refocus. I downloaded the package and unzipped. Found the plugin folder to place the extract. It does not work perhaps I am missing something. I do not know how to run ./configure or something. I appreciate if someone could help me in this. 

Thanks and Regards

A̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶l̶o̶a̶d̶ ̶p̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶t̶e̶s̶:̶ ̶N̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶G̶I̶M̶P̶ ̶>̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶d̶u̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶l̶e̶g̶a̶c̶y̶ ̶d̶l̶l̶.̶

I was looking at refocus-it, not 'refocus', sorry. Where did you download the plugin from?
Not really an answer to your question but one suggestion is to use G'Mic-Qt and choose the item 'Details' to sharpen your photos. It has a lot of different scripts to do the job. I used refocus in the past, but I was not satisfied with the results.
Site: https://gmic.eu
Example: on the left the two examples from the refocus site, on the right one done with G'Mic-Qt. The right one could be sharper, but there are a lot of sliders to sharpen a photo more to get a result at own taste.   

(12-05-2023, 08:26 AM)harshamutu Wrote: I am not that tech-savvy. ...snip... I do not know how to run ./configure or something. I appreciate if someone could help me in this. 

There is a refocus plugin but it dates back to 2004 and the smaller images from those days

A better version is that refocus-it plugin also about 2004 and if you got that from sourceforge that is probably what you have - the source code to compile - that is where the ./configure comes in - for linux.

Both have been compiled in the past for Windows to create Gimp .exe (32 bit) plugins. I have pulled these out of my archive and tried in Win 10 / Gimp 2.10.36  They show up in the enhance menu iterative-refocus and refocus. 
Unzip the attachment and put refocus.exe and/or refocus-it.exe in your Gimp User profile plug-ins folder. 
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins    This one refocus-it

These are incredibly slow plugins and if only one or two images to process maybe try one of the on-line utilities.

Attached Files
.zip   refocus-windows.zip (Size: 134.4 KB / Downloads: 181)
(12-05-2023, 08:26 AM)harshamutu Wrote: Found the plugin folder to place the extract. It does not work perhaps I am missing something. I do not know how to run ./configure or something. I appreciate if someone could help me in this. 

Yes you are missing a lot, if you download from there https://sourceforge.net/projects/refocus/files/refocus/ , you do need to OPEN the uncompressed folder and to launch the install-sh to install it, you can't just put that folder in your plugins folder > but this might not work on the Microsoft's Windows as Microsoft does not accept file without extension (and many other limitations), thus I think it was made for a *nix system like Linux or macos Although I'm not sure if in 2003 Apple was already using the FLOSS Mach kernel with BSD...

Recommendation? download the file from Rich2005!

BTW, refocus is from February 2003... there are better alternative like G'MIC as @denzjos said, you can also use a high pass filter in GIMP or use the technique of Freaky focus (yes it's for photoshop, but he is just using ONLY Layers' mode and layer group > Thus straight out of the box applicable to GIMP!)
Patrice
Having seen the reference to Freaky Details, and just for the fun of it, I have written a plug-in to create the layers in the appropriate modes.

It leaves the colour-inverted, vivid-light layer as the active layer, ready to apply selective gaussian blur.

Attached Files
.zip   freaky_details_dm.zip (Size: 1,017 bytes / Downloads: 139)
Ofnuts set out the freaky details Gimp procedure in this post. With screenshots.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Look-m...2#pid11042

When it comes to the two old refocus plugins, as I understand it refocus is for more of an out-of-focus blur while refocus-it tends towards a motion blur (a shake)
(12-05-2023, 04:23 PM)david Wrote: Having seen the reference to Freaky Details, and just for the fun of it, I have written a plug-in to create the layers in the appropriate modes.
It leaves the colour-inverted, vivid-light layer as the active layer, ready to apply selective gaussian blur.

That's cool, thank you Smile

For people reading this, the Gaussian Blur might not the best to use in this case, but the Selective Gaussian Blur or even the Median Blur are good to use for this technique.
Optional (but it's not live) it's to use the G’MIC Repair > Smooth [bilateral] which resemble to the Photoshop's Surface Blur, but you will see the result AFTER using G'MIC...

Just to let you know
Patrice
(12-05-2023, 09:38 AM)denzjos Wrote: Not really an answer to your question but one suggestion is to use G'Mic-Qt and choose the item 'Details' to sharpen your photos. It has a lot of different scripts to do the job. I used refocus in the past, but I was not satisfied with the results.
Site: https://gmic.eu
Example: on the left the two examples from the refocus site, on the right one done with G'Mic-Qt. The right one could be sharper, but there are a lot of sliders to sharpen a photo more to get a result at own taste.   

Thank You.

(12-05-2023, 04:23 PM)david Wrote: Having seen the reference to Freaky Details, and just for the fun of it, I have written a plug-in to create the layers in the appropriate modes.

Thanks. I installed it.