Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old GImp's configure test (for gtk) is broken?
Hello. Trying to compile old Gimp (2.6) leads to this error message:

Code:
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.12.1... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly installed.
configure: error: Test for GTK+ failed. See the file 'INSTALL' for help.

The problem is, I am passing gtk to gimp's configure, as can be seen in the end of the following command:

Code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Glib-2.28.0/lib/  ./configure PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gimp/Babl-0.0.22/lib/pkgconfig/:/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gimp/Gegl-0.0.22/lib/pkgconfig/:/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Glib-2.28.0/lib/pkgconfig/:/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gtk+-2.24.20/lib/pkgconfig/

I read config.log, and there it is said

Code:
configure:28134: checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.12.1
configure:28290: result: no
configure:28328: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Winit-self -Wpointer-arith -Wold-style-definition  -I/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gtk+-2.24.20/include/  conftest.c   >&5
conftest.c:47:21: fatal error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gtk/gtk.h>

Beased on that, I tried to add:
Code:
CPPFLAGS=-I/media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gtk+-2.24.20/include/
to see if configure would find the required header

It didn't work. Finally, I changed it to:
Code:
CPPFLAGS=-I /media/34GB/Arquivos-de-Programas-Linux/Gtk+-2.24.20/include/gtk-2.0/

but once again, it did not work. In case of doubts, the gtk folder does exists, as the gtk.h header, both inside the gtk-2.0 folder

This happened on both versions that I tested, 2.6.0 and 2.6.12 (not interested in newer versions)

So, what might be the cause of this?
Not an expert in this, but my recollection of C is that it has two kinds of includes, the <> and the "". The <> are system ones that are fairly hard to override and not part of make dependencies, while the "" ones are those of your app and sensitive to the include path. So it all depends how the GTK stuff is included.

I did compile a 2.8 version not so long ago and it was quite easy. Why do you need to import foreign GTK includes? Either you have GTK2 installed on your system (in which case adequate includes would come with some "-dev" package) or you don't, in which case Gimp won't run even if you manage to spoon-feed includes during compilation.

Finally, I wonder why the 2.6 fetish. Things have improved a lot since 2012. Some users are irked by some design choices (such as the save/export controversy), but IMHO if you are down to compiling something to circumvent this, you can as well compile a recent version in which you make some tweaks (there are also scripts & plugins).