Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is There An Easy Way To Format For Print?
What I mean is if you have an image which is too big or the wrong shape for printing on the paper you have in mind, say A4,  then is there an easy way to select and maybe enlarge or shrink selections of that image in order to make a satisfactory print out?

Like I have a long rectangular image. It is a photograph of what was a long rectangular piece of paper.

Now  I want to print it across a number of A4 sheets and I will stick them together.

If I could for instance  move a rectangle across the image that represents the size of an A4 sheet at that resolution and increase/shrink the size of that rectangle as I pleased - while at the same time as I enlarge and shrink the area within it always represents what will be printed on an A4  page - then I'd be helped enormously, I think. (and then press a button and have that area set aside as 'print selection 1 or something' or sent straight to the printer)

Is there such a feature somewhere or a method that achieves the same end?

I will attach the image.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

First I would do a better photo to flatten properly your image (if it's good enough for ebay > https://www.ebay.com/itm/233657084981, it would better to re-do the picture for what you need)

(06-20-2021, 11:11 PM)abrogard Wrote: Now I want to print it across a number of A4 sheets and I will stick them together.
So, If I properly understood, what you might searching for is in your printer setting in the "advance" tab from GIMP / Print...

This is a view from GIMP > File > Print... > Advanced on my computer (I'm on Linux and certainly have a different printer than you, so it might look quite different on your computer)

As you can see at "Multi-page" > "Poster Printing", your image can be printed on multiple A4 sheets, then you have to glue them together (with tape at the back for example) to get your full image
Try first on regular papers in "Draft" or "Low quality" mode to minimize the use of ink to check out if you'll be satisfied with the number of A4, (which should be something like "Poster Printing" 2x1 or 3x1 in your case, depending if it's landscape or portrait)
The image is 840 x 1427 pix. That is on the small size and not wonderful quality. Do you have a larger version ? To fit to A4 portrait @ 300 ppi the image will scale almost times four.

However, using what is there, I might use a workflow such as:
Open a new image using the standard Gimp A4 template File -> New -> Template -> A4
Add the image as a layer File -> Open as Layers
Use the Scale tool (shift-S) and the background layer as a guide to scale the layer as a 'fit' over the A4 background.

That leaves a layer larger than the canvas so a tidy up Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers then Layer -> Layer to Image Size then Image -> Zealous Crop   Result should be an image with a size around 3000 x 5000 pix.

Splitting for printing:
Set Guides at 33.3 and 66.7 percent. Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent)
Gimp 2.10 Divide the image into three new images (for printing) Image -> Slice Using Guides .
Gimp 2.8 Use Image -> Transform -> Guillotine
Use each of those new images to print on separate A4 sheets. You will need to trim the margin's before glue-ing Wink

All that in a 5 minute video: https://youtu.be/TMANEkM_iw4

Remember to Save  your work as you go along, mishaps do occur.

The Windows Gimp print is a bit flaky, sometimes best to use some other application for printing.

Of course there are always alternatives, https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/ specifically made for such work.

best of luck.
Thank you both for those great posts. I will try out both. When I get some time and coincidentally we're on notice our power will be out between 0800 and 1500 today (thought it's 0830 right now) - so when I've got power, too. Smile

Looks like it'll be problem solved alright. Thanks again.
(06-21-2021, 11:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: However, using what is there, I might use a workflow such as:
Open a new image using the standard Gimp A4 template File -> New -> Template -> A4
Use the Scale tool (shift-S) and the background layer as a guide to scale the layer as a 'fit' over the A4 background.

Question,  As I was scaling-up the target image to match the 3508 pixels that an A4 document is  tall @ 300 ppi....I noticed that the zoom control in gimp had shrunk the working image to 18.2 % of full size.

Setting the zoom to 100% resulted in an image that was orders of magnitude larger than lifesize (8.3 x 11.7 inches).

Just curious, is this because my laptop's screen resolution is only 106 x 107 pixels?

I was able to complete the exercise without mishap, and even pasted the 3 panels created with gimp into  Libre Office A4 blank pages...without malfunction...just a little shocked with the scaling reported in gimp.  Normally one would expect 100% to be actual life size.....just trying to find comfort with why that is not the case

(06-22-2021, 12:12 AM)rickk Wrote: Question,  As I was scaling-up the target image to match the 3508 pixels that an A4 document is  tall @ 300 ppi....I noticed that the zoom control in gimp had shrunk the working image to 18.2 % of full size.

Setting the zoom to 100% resulted in an image that was orders of magnitude larger than lifesize (8.3 x 11.7 inches).

Just curious, is this because my laptop's screen resolution is only 106 x 107 pixels?

I was able to complete the exercise without mishap, and even pasted the 3 panels created with gimp into  Libre Office A4 blank pages...without malfunction...just a little shocked with the scaling reported in gimp.  Normally one would expect 100% to be actual life size.....just trying to find comfort with why that is not the case

See https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp and in particular the part "The display resolution is not the printer resolution".
(06-22-2021, 06:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: See https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp and in particular the part "The display resolution is not the printer resolution".

Thanks!  I guess it's very seldom that I actually print graphics, so I guess it was ignorant of me to assume I had caused a problem scaling that image up so drastically. 
Nice to have the relationship spelled out as you have done in your post.

Not paying attention and posted this in the wrong thread. A bit more about what you see in Gimp

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Print-...9#pid24149
(06-22-2021, 02:38 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Not paying attention and posted this in the wrong thread. A bit more about what you see in Gimp

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Print-...9#pid24149

[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=6252]

I had to laugh when I read your notation, because I was doing the exact same thing last night prior to my original post.  Thinking "well the page measures 4 1/8" wide on the screen, yet gimp claims the image is shown 18.2% of actual size, how can that  be?

Then, in an uncommon moment of mental clarity, it occurred to me that there was roughly a 3 to 1 ratio between the resolution of the image, compared to my display. And dividing that 4 1/8" by 3 got me close enough to what I expected would be 18.2% of 8 1/4 inches.....that  I suspected I was on the right track...more or less.

You guys are great. I've learned more about gimp in the past 2 years following your solution/tutorials, than I did in 15 previous years hacking my way through the menus

(06-21-2021, 11:51 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The image is 840 x 1427 pix. That is on the small size and not wonderful quality. Do you have a larger version ? To fit to A4 portrait @ 300 ppi the image will scale almost times four.

However, using what is there, I might use a workflow such as:

That leaves a layer larger than the canvas so a tidy up Image -> Fit Canvas to Layers then Layer -> Layer to Image Size then Image -> Zealous Crop   Result should be an image with a size around 3000 x 5000 pix.

Splitting for printing:
Set Guides at 33.3 and 66.7 percent. Image -> Guides -> New Guide (by percent)
Gimp 2.10   Divide the image into three new images (for printing) Image -> Slice Using Guides .
Gimp 2.8     Use Image -> Transform -> Guillotine
Use each of those new images to print on separate A4 sheets. You will need to trim the margin's before glue-ing Wink

All that in a 5 minute video: https://youtu.be/TMANEkM_iw4

Remember to Save  your work as you go along, mishaps do occur.

The Windows Gimp print is a bit flaky, sometimes best to use some other application for printing.

Of course there are always alternatives, https://posterazor.sourceforge.io/ specifically made for such work.

best of luck.

I just came back to this after being away.  The Print/Advanced option doesn't appear on my (Win10) Gimp but all this does and I used it successfully.  Thanks.

What I particularly want to say is thankyou for that brilliant video which I didn't look at before.  It would be  the best instructional video I've ever seen, without doubt.  Absolutely.   Thanks.   Smile