Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to modify guides in script-fu to allow their placement outside canvas?
Not much to add outside the thread subject line. Heck, you've probably found yourself wondering the same. The reason I'd like to do this, and desperately wish guides could be dragged off-canvas and NOT disappear is all about making vanishing points practical. Otherwise I have to start with a ridiculously huge canvas area to store the exact coordinates of a single pixel's worth of data, as a vanishing point in-file.

As is, I have to work with an order of magnitude or more canvas area than necessary, wasting a lot of space and degrading ergonomics. Does anyone know of any workarounds? Or barring that, know enough script-fu, to describe to me how to place guides that intersect the canvas nowhere, yet still stay in place? I do know basic python but haven't touched script-fu yet.

Makes me miss how in Flash editor, waaay back in the day, you could put anything off-canvas.
[Image: gimp_vanishing_point_prob.png?ex=658f602...y=lossless]
You can use a path instead of guides and use View > Snap to active path. Path can extends beyond the canvas, and as a bonus you can also get diagonal lines.

But if you want accurate selections, using paths to create them instead of the lasso tool can also be a better idea.
(12-16-2023, 12:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can use a path instead of guides and use View > Snap to active path.  Path can extends beyond the canvas, and as a bonus you can also get diagonal lines.

But if you want accurate selections, using paths to create them instead of the lasso tool can also be a better idea.

A good idea, on a single work session for a image. But paths don't seem to stay in place when I close an image and re-open it. Which would be ideal. That I had lasso tool selected when I took that screencap is incidental. I should have cropped out that distraction. But it really does seem the solution is to hard-recode the guides themselves in script-fu somehow so they can store coordinates beyond their usual scope. Again, haven't touched the stuff yet. Thanks for the idea though!
(12-16-2023, 12:43 AM)Dogarithm Wrote:
(12-16-2023, 12:35 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: You can use a path instead of guides and use View > Snap to active path.  Path can extends beyond the canvas, and as a bonus you can also get diagonal lines.

A good idea, on a single work session for a image. But paths don't seem to stay in place when I close an image and re-open it. Which would be ideal. That I had lasso tool selected when I took that screencap is incidental. I should have cropped out that distraction. But it really does seem the solution is to hard-recode the guides themselves in script-fu somehow so they can store coordinates beyond their usual scope. Again, haven't touched the stuff yet. Thanks for the idea though!

Paths are kept/saved with the image and remain in place. They aren't always visible, but you can toggle their visibility in the Paths list.

You can't create guides outside of the canvas boundaries, even with a script. And if you create guides on a large canvas, and then reduce the canvas size, the guides that fall outside the new canvas are removed.
Good news everyone!
I just heard from the devs, and can confirm that the future release 2.99 DOES finally support objects like paths and guides OUTSIDE the canvas! Yay team!
(12-16-2023, 03:11 AM)Dogarithm Wrote: Good news everyone!
I just heard from the devs, and can confirm that the future release 2.99 DOES finally support objects like paths and guides OUTSIDE the canvas! Yay team!

I'm curious to know how it will be implemented Angel
If it's to loose the possibility to drag outside of the canvas a guide to remove it, that will become cumbersome Angry
Patrice
(12-16-2023, 08:20 AM)PixLab Wrote:

If it's to loose the possibility to drag outside of the canvas a guide to remove it, that will become cumbersome  Angry

You don't need to drag a guide outside of the canvas to remove it, you can also drag it to a side ruler (which is the only way to remove a guide when zoomed in), so this will be fine.
(12-16-2023, 09:43 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(12-16-2023, 08:20 AM)PixLab Wrote:

If it's to loose the possibility to drag outside of the canvas a guide to remove it, that will become cumbersome  Angry

You don't need to drag a guide outside of the canvas to remove it, you can also drag it to a side ruler (which is the only way to remove a guide when zoomed in), so this will be fine.

I know, but when I'm far zoom out no need to reach the far away ruler, just out of the canvas and it's done
Patrice