Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is there any relatively simple way to sharpen images?
(12-07-2019, 09:12 AM)denzjos Wrote: I often use arrows on technical sketches using tranparent layers. Sometimes I don't like the sharpness of the arrow and try to manipulate the arrow with curves and levels. It seems to have no effect on the trasparent layer. See attachment file. On the transparent layer curves and levels have no effect. On the white layer curves and levels have effect.

Ps : I know a few other sollutions to make sharp arrows, but in this case it is concerning curves and levels on a transparent layer.
akovia, if my workflow is wrong, please correct. Thanks in advance.

I see now. 

If all you want to do is "Sharpen" the fuzziness of an object on a transparent layer, then use the technique I showed in the video above. Select the ALPHA channel instead of the VALUE and you should get the same results. 

The problem you are experiencing with Curves and Levels has nothing to do with transparency and everything to do with the arrows being pure black. Try using either Curves or Levels on a pure black or pure white layer with zero transparency and you will experience the same problem. If your arrows were any other colors than pure black or white, then they could be adjusted with those tools. 

Colorize will work regardless because it has the ability to add color information.

I doubt I could explain this more eloquently than others around here could, but I hope this helps your workflow on how to sharpen your transparent arrows.
akovia, that is what I want. A little more knowledge about gimp for me. Thanks