Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issue with paths tool
Hello everyone!

Firstly I would like to clarify that this is not a software issue or a bug. It is my first time using Gimp, and while playing around with the different tools I managed to mess something up and now I cannot use the paths tool. I do not know what exactly I messed up, but now when I select the paths tool and I try to left click (to start making the path), the cursor changes and a prohibition sign is added next to it.
Also, the message on the bottom of the screen reads: "Clicking here does nothing, try clicking on path elements".
This message is shown when I click on the .jpg I have open (I am trying to trace the outline of the sun in the image). 
I know it is something I did, because the paths tool was working as expected the first time I opened an image file.
All other tools and brushes are working fine.

I also attached a screenshot, so that you can see the cursor and the message.

So far I have tried: 
- opening another image
- creating an image from scratch
- trying the paths tool on a new layer
- uninstalling and re-installing gimp
But nothing seems to undo the problem. 

Thank you so much in advance!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-31-2022, 11:41 AM)DisAn Wrote: Hello everyone!

Firstly I would like to clarify that this is not a software issue or a bug. It is my first time using Gimp, and while playing around with the different tools I managed to mess something up and now I cannot use the paths tool. I do not know what exactly I messed up, but now when I select the paths tool and I try to left click (to start making the path), the cursor changes and a prohibition sign is added next to it.
Also, the message on the bottom of the screen reads: "Clicking here does nothing, try clicking on path elements".
This message is shown when I click on the .jpg I have open (I am trying to trace the outline of the sun in the image). 
I know it is something I did, because the paths tool was working as expected the first time I opened an image file.

So far I have tried: 
- opening another image

Probably You are in edit mode of the paths tool. Open up the "Tool Options". It's a dockable dialog which you already should have as a tab. Otherwise See "Windows" -> "Dockable Dialogs" -> "Tool Options"
When you do a screenshot, make sure than Tool Options, is open (this is the most important tab/Dockable dialog ever to have, and because the path is the main subject, be sure that the Path tab/Dialog is open as well (usually we ask for the layer stack, though)

Now some questions:
Did you opened the Path dialog and tick the eyes before to select the path tool? If not, please do so, then you will be able to to edit your path Wink
While the path is in visible mode, did you check in the Tool Options if the path is in Edit mode, Design mode or Move mode?

If you've closed inadvertently the Tool Options (I don't see any Tool Options tab on screenshot), you can get it back by going to the to menu Windows ➤ Dockable Dialog ➤ Tool Options (it's the first one on the top of the list, just to tell you how important is this window, never close it again)
(10-31-2022, 12:16 PM)MichaJo Wrote:
(10-31-2022, 11:41 AM)DisAn Wrote: Hello everyone!

So far I have tried: 
- opening another image

Probably You are in edit mode of the paths tool. Open up the "Tool Options". It's a dockable dialog which you already should have as a tab. Otherwise See "Windows" -> "Dockable Dialogs" -> "Tool Options"

That's it! I was indeed in edit mode, thank you so much.

(10-31-2022, 12:21 PM)PixLab Wrote: When you do a screenshot, make sure than Tool Options, is open (this is the most important tab/Dockable dialog ever to have, and because the path is the main subject, be sure that the Path tab/Dialog is open as well (usually we ask for the layer stack, though)

Now some questions:
Did you opened the Path dialog and tick the eyes before to select the path tool? If not, please do so, then you will be able to to edit your path Wink
While the path is in visible mode, did you check in the Tool Options if the path is in Edit mode, Design mode or Move mode?

If you've closed inadvertently the Tool Options (I don't see any Tool Options tab on screenshot), you can get it back by going to the to menu Windows ➤ Dockable Dialog ➤ Tool Options (it's the first one on the top of the list, just to tell you how important is this window, never close it again)

Thank you for the advice, I didn't know about the 'Tool Options' was a dockable dialog!
I found out I was in edit mode after all., now the paths tool is working fine