Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues installing GIMP-fanim
Bug 
So, i'm running gimp 2.10.30 on WIN7 (64bit), and i've noticed everytime i try to install a python plugin, it doesn't show up, and if i put it into the GIMP python console to see what's wrong, i get a load of indentation errors, among other things. 

Really, i just want to install GIMP-fanim. i've heard people using the same OS and version have successfully installed it, so i'm just not sure what i'm doing wrong.

The plugin's code can be viewed here, and i've posted the output of the GIMP python console here. Any help would be appreciated.  Shy
Copy/paste to the console isn't really the same as loading from the file (one problem seems to be the continuation lines).

Otherwise, works for me... So can you describe exactly what you are doing to "install it"?
  • How you download it
  • How you check that you received the right file and that it has kept the .py extension
  • Where exactly your are putting it
  • How you move it there
(06-01-2022, 08:09 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Copy/paste to the console isn't really the same as loading from the file (one problem seems to be the continuation lines).

Otherwise, works for me... So can you describe exactly what you are doing to "install it"?
  • How you download it
  • How you check that you received the right file and that it has kept the .py extension
  • Where exactly your are putting it
  • How you move it there

Right, I downloaded the ZIP off the github page, extracted it, then moved the .py file to C>Program files>GIMP 2>share>gimp>2.0>plug-ins. i also opened it (but did not edit it) in an appropriate editor to make sure it's the correct file. Restarted gimp as well.
The author rightfully recommends %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\ (so C:\Users\{your id}\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\, usually) but that shouldn't make a difference.

Have you got a Python installed in your system (in addition to the one that comes with Gimp)?
(06-01-2022, 10:32 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: The author rightfully recommends %HOMEPATH%\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\ (so C:\Users\{your id}\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins\, usually) but that shouldn't make a difference.

Have you got a Python installed in your system (in addition to the one that comes with Gimp)?

Turns out that was the issue. I had assumed i already installed python while installing a totally different program, but didn't. After installing a version of python and restarting gimp it showed up! Thanks for your help.  Big Grin