Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JPEG XR (.JXR) and JPEG XL (.JXL) support?
Hail:

Lately I am more and more confronted with the .JXR and .JXL format, from my company out.
I often want to edit these, alas ... 
... GIMP does not appear to accept this format.
Which is sad, as GIMP is my tool to go, I like it a lot more than say Adobe's Photoshop, which I also have, but ignore.
Heh.

Is it possible to have these 2 formats in the next GIMP edition, please?

Thank you:
Xog.
There are no Gimp developers here, only users. Request for Gimp changes should be directed here or perhaps here.

I see code for Jpeg XL (.jxl extension) in the Gimp 2.34 source code, but that may be an experimental feature for the time being.
It is there in Gimp 2.10.36 Windows. Just go to File -> Export, add the .jxl filename suffix (somename.jxl) and export.

...but... there is no dialogue for setting parameters see: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/9936

Closed in typical Gimp dev mode Wink

In linux Gimp 2.10.36 (from PPA) the jxl export does have the settings dialgue.
@Ofnuts
Thank you, good sir, and apologies.

@Rich2005
Thank you, sir Admin!

I'll ask them to add a Win based dialogue box for the .JXL when asking for the .JXR.   Wink
Once more, thank you for the assistence.
Much appreciated.

Request found here:
The Request. Direct link. for those interested.

Thank you all again:
Xog.
Xogroroth: Hi! Note that that is a request to add support to a plug-in, not the main GIMP application. You'd need to create an account here to post a request: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues

I would personally like nothing more than to add support for JPEG XR and many other formats, but at the moment we're in a feature freeze as we prepare for 3.0 (basically, we're trying not to add new things after the 2.99.18 release so we can make sure everything that's already in GIMP 2.99 is sufficiently bug-free for a stable release). However, if you post a request for JPEG XR then it'll be on the list post 3.0 release.

In the mean time, you could also try this plug-in for JPEG XR: GitHub - chausner/gimp-jxr: GIMP plugin for reading and writing of JPEG XR image files

They have GIMP 2.8 version and an experimental 2.9 release that *might* work in 2.10 (haven't tested it yet)
Thank you, good sir.
Done.

The Link:

Hope this is good, this time, sir.   Wink

Kindest regards:
Ben
(02-09-2024, 12:41 PM)Xogroroth Wrote: Thank you, good sir.
Done.

The Link:

Hope this is good, this time, sir.   Wink

Kindest regards:
Ben

Yep, that's the right spot. Thanks!
You, good sir, are MOST welcome.   Smile

And thank you for the help.

Kindest regards:
Xog.