Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jagged Edges Problem
Hi guys and gals,

I have a problem with Jagged edges which are making my customer made badges for my Football Manager game. The jagged edges makes it look low res and blurry. I have a path of a shield and when I select it and fill the selection it creates the jagged edges. Now I have tried to free paint the edges to get straight lines but I can see the problem that the way GIMP works with pixels means that you cant avoid a jagged edge. Does anyone know of anything to combat this problem?
No reason to have jagged edges if you have a path and do Select>From path, and bucket-fill the selection:

Of course if you try to paint both sidesof the selection on the same layer you will run into problems due to the anti-aliasing pixels. You should paint things on their own layers and it is the overlapping of the layers that makes Gimp handle the anti-aliasing pixels for you.

Otherwise post examples of the problem (ideally, the whole XCF, but if too big (should be <2MB), a cropped version is fine (as long as it still shows the relevant  layers and paths).
(07-30-2019, 10:56 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: No reason to have jagged edges if you have a path and do Select>From path, and bucket-fill the selection:

Of course if you try to paint both sidesof the selection on the same layer you will run into problems due to the anti-aliasing pixels. You should paint things on their own layers and it is the overlapping of the layers that makes Gimp handle the anti-aliasing pixels for you.

Otherwise post examples of the problem (ideally, the whole XCF, but if too big (should be <2MB), a cropped version is fine (as long as it still shows the relevant  layers and paths).

Thank you I will try next and update you again thanks for the advice.

Its not quite working, I have attached the XCF file to the post. I have used a Gausson Blur to try and minimise the look of the jagged edge. If you create a new layer and then go onto paths and pick shield and do the select to path and bucket fill you should see it. Is it maybe because I'm doing it at a small size? Its 180 x 180?

Attached Files
.xcf   Battle FC.xcf (Size: 88.45 KB / Downloads: 133)
Quote: Is it maybe because I'm doing it at a small size? Its 180 x 180?

Everything to do with the small size. Even smaller for the crossed sword/axe which are about 100 pix long and at a 45 deg angle.
Would it look better to do it a big size then shrink it?
(07-31-2019, 08:17 PM)emmerson444 Wrote: Would it look better to do it a big size then shrink it?

Best is to create it the correct size to start with. Then you don't need to enlarge or shrink.

For example, you require an image 4" x 4". 300dpi will give a good quality print.
Then you need a canvas size of (4 x 300) pixels square.
ie 1200 x 1200 pixels.

Even better: for that type of image use vector graphics (Inkscape). Then you can scale it to any size you require without loss of quality.