Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep copied selection size in a new image
Hello,

Thanks in advance for your wise help!

- Example : I have opened an image of 1000 x 500
- With the selection tool, I select a part of that image. For example, I select 200 x 300 of that image
- I want this selection of 200 x 300 to be a new jpeg file
- So I create a new image BUT THE SIZE OF MY SELECTION (200 x 300) IS NOT KEPT IN MEMORY!
That new image has automatically the size of the main image : 1000 x 500
BUT I WANT A NEW IMAGE WHICH WOULD AUTOMATICALLY BE 200 x 300, the size of my selection.

So instead, I have to memorize myself the size of my selection in my little head.
When I open a new image, I have to type in myself the size 200 x 300 which I have memorized.
It's okay when it's 200 x 300, but it's kind of challenging when it's 1426 x 1428, a good memory training!

I remember that in Photoshop, it did that : it memorized the size of my selection in a new image.

How can I do that with Gimp?
Or maybe is there another way around that issue ?

Thanks for your help
A good memory is an asset, however best thing is forget how PS works. Gimp is not a clone of PS.

File -> New will show the pixel size of the current active image. If there is no image open it uses the size set in Edit -> Preferences -> Default Image -> Image Size There is also the drop-down for template sizes.

No need to copy / paste into a new image, for your workflow:

Make the selection
Copy the selection Edit -> Copy
Paste the selection as a new image Edit -> Paste As -> New Image (shortcut shift-ctrl-v)
Export that as required.

example: https://i.imgur.com/l5OhlTy.mp4

ps. bad manners to shout in CAPS
You're a life saver!
I've been doing the complicated way for......years!
And now with your technique, It's gonna be much faster.

So sorry about the CAPS letter, I just wanted to highlight some parts of the text, I should have just put them in bold.
Sorry also about implying that Gimp should work like Photoshop, again I just wanted to explain more clearly what I was looking for with an example.

So thanks again and sorry about what seemed to be bad manners.

Cheers