Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large RAW file crash
I've been using GIMP for a long time processing Astrophotography. I've gotten better at it and now I'm ending up with a 955mb image. Gimp has problems with this size of a picture.  Very slow and crashes. I can't change it to a JPG because I loose the processing power of a RAW image. I'm using 2.10.24 on Windows 10. Any thoughts?
(07-07-2021, 01:09 PM)whugh Wrote: I've been using GIMP for a long time processing Astrophotography.

Cool Smile

(07-07-2021, 01:09 PM)whugh Wrote: I've gotten better at it and now I'm ending up with a 955mb image.

Yes, a lot of stacking/blending and so, that's quite normal to get that size, I have many .xcf way above the GB Wink (no astro, though)
But if it's the number that you see on the status bar, that's the memory it used, not the real size of the image

(07-07-2021, 01:09 PM)whugh Wrote: Gimp has problems with this size of a picture.  Very slow and crashes.

Not from my experience, depending the size in pixels of the picture. Does some filters go slower, yes they can.
What's the size (width and height) of the picture in pixels?
How many layers/images in the stack?

(07-07-2021, 01:09 PM)whugh Wrote: I can't change it to a JPG because I loose the processing power of a RAW image.

No worries, you might not need to change to JPG because it might already be a JPG
GIMP does not process RAW and never did, on the other hand, GIMP process TIFF, PNG which are lossless compression, JPG and many more

(07-07-2021, 01:09 PM)whugh Wrote: I'm using 2.10.24 on Windows 10. Any thoughts?

More info about your processing, number of layers, the size in pixels, how many photo are you stacking, what are you trying to do? a full screenshot with the most important dockers in view, how many RAM (memory), processor type, and so, would help to give some thoughts Wink
So I take about 150 2min shots of 24mp pics with my Fuji X-A3 through my Telescope. I stack them all together via DeepSkyStacker. This makes for a very large RAW image. It does become a TIFF after a very slow process in GIMP. It seems that all my problems are pics higher than 400mp. I have a Inspiron 3668 with a Intel ® Core ™ i3-7100 CPU. I only have 8 GB RAM. Could this be the problem? I could switch the 2 four GB rams out for to 8's.

I see that when I send a RAW picture to GIMP it changes to a TIFF. I never noticed it before. But some of these pictures need a lot of stretching to bring out faint nebulosity. If I don't take it very slow it hangs up.
Ok, I made a trip to BestBuy and picked up 16GB of RAM. Took the older harder to get 8GB out and GIMP is now working with LARGE TIFF pics. Cost me $100 but I'm happy and the computer is running fine. Thankyou for the input. I love GIMP and I'm still learning.
(07-07-2021, 09:46 PM)whugh Wrote: Ok, I made a trip to BestBuy and picked up 16GB of RAM. Took the older harder to get 8GB out and GIMP is now working with LARGE TIFF pics. Cost me $100 but I'm happy and the computer is running fine. Thankyou for the input. I love GIMP and I'm still learning.

Wonderful!

If in the future you got some slowing problems, you might want to go to Menu > Edit > Preferences... and in "System Resources" edit those (I have 24GB of memory, so a 5GB "Tiles Cache Size" suits well for me with having some other software open at the same time)

Have a great day.
OK, Thanks!