Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lasso tool not working
Hello all,

Context: Am attempting to copy pixels from one layer to a new layer. To do this, with prior versions of GIMP, I would use the lasso tool in the original layer, select the pixels I want, hit the copy button and then paste to a new layer.

Problem: After upgrading to the new Gimp, the lasso tool no longer works. The pixels I selected lack the original 'glowing outline' and when I try to copy and paste the pixels in question, the ENTIRE layer is copied instead.

This is very frustrating, more so given that it is a basic function that worked great on prior versions of Gimp. I've tried resetting the toobox to default values, but that doesn't change anything.

I would welcome any assistance in this regards.
After making your selection you need press ENTER to confirm the selection.

With the new version, you can make alterations to your selection after completing the selection. Then press ENTER.
Thank you. It now works, after hitting the ENTER Button.

Much Appreciated!
Hello all,
 OK, yes I found out about hitting "enter" to complete the lasso tool selection! Completely dumb! It might seem like a good isea from a developer point of view, but not from a professional who has used gimp for years. It increases the time for completing a single project, which interferes with workflow. This is the first time I have had to downgrade gimp. That is how troublesome the decision for the "enter" completion was!. NO I will not become accustomed to it. If necessary, after the downgrade, I will stick with that version.
Very disappointing.
You don't need to strike Enter everytime, and you can also double-click inside the selection instead.

I don't know how much time I'm losing with the new way, but I know how much tile I lost with the old when I had to redo whole selections because I couldn't change them before they were automatically committed.

This said, no-one reading this has any influence on Gimp's design decisions, so if you want to get this "fixed" you can file a bug on https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues
This also solves my problem I couldn't figure out why the "add to selection" tool no longer worked but after pressing enter each time it does thanks Smile