Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Mask help
can anyone help with how to make a layer mask of the black outline on the attached image? I've followed several guides/videos on how to do layer masks but it's not working for me how I need it to.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A layer mask is a grayscale image, where black / white is full transparency / opacity and varying grey semi-transparency.

You need to make your logo black /white. Not difficult
It already has an alpha channel so use Colors -> Color-to-Alpha to lose the yellow
Then lose the alpha, (make sure the BG is set to white) Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha Channel

Do you need to remove the embellishments ? Up to you.

Then it is into the destination image, add a layer mask Layer -> Mask -> Add layer Mask Use white.

Copy the logo. Into the destination image, click in the mask icon to make it active, paste the logo and anchor it.

Not knowing what you are using as a destination so a 3 minute video of the basics https://youtu.be/t5uLKceiWfA
For that particular type of logo, you can also use Inkscape and manually trace paths. I think because of few details, that is the method I'd choose.
(12-14-2020, 04:42 PM)rich2005 Wrote: A layer mask is a grayscale image, where black / white is full transparency / opacity and varying grey semi-transparency.

You need to make your logo black /white. Not difficult
It already has an alpha channel so use Colors ->  Color-to-Alpha to lose the yellow
Then lose the alpha,  (make sure the BG is set to white) Layer -> Transparency -> Remove Alpha  Channel

Do you need to remove the embellishments ? Up to you.

Then it is into the destination image, add a layer mask Layer -> Mask -> Add layer Mask  Use white.

Copy the logo. Into the destination image, click in the mask icon to make it active, paste the logo and anchor it.

Not knowing what you are using as a destination so a 3 minute video of the basics https://youtu.be/t5uLKceiWfA
Thank you for your help thus far Rich. I've followed your video so far and I have my outline. What I'm trying to do is then take that outline and put it on the attached image as a layer mask so on my website people can change the color of the outline. Instead of having the whole logo, how could I just have the layer mask be the black outline of the logo so I can fit it to the logo on the attached zip up? I hope that made sense but if not let me know and I will try to explain in better detail.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

edit:
Quote:so on my website people can change the color of the outline
I do not think this is the way web pages work however, this is the way Gimp works
-------------------

Make a template, where the colours are easily changed, you find them all the time for all sorts of items.

First, did you understand about a layer mask being black and white ? Did you follow adding the mask to a layer ? Did you get the bit about inverting the layer mask colour to show / hide opposite parts of the layer?

That latest image is very small, the logo would have to scaled down from 3000 pix wide to about 150 pix - too much. Try and find a larger background image.  I scaled up by about x2 but if you can work on a larger basic good quality image, much better.

Then it is just two layers for the colours you want to use. One layer with the outline mask (as the video) and another (made the same way) for a back ground colour.  No need for a layer group, but that is what they are there for.

attached that example, just open it in Gimp.

Attached Files
.gz   womens-zipper-template.xcf.gz (Size: 250.61 KB / Downloads: 139)