Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Modes
I have only discovered what a few do.
For some people it may be experimenting. For others it may be straight forward and others?
Would like to see what people think/know a layer mode does and the best way to implement it.
1. Dissolve - I found out by experimentation that the dissolve mode works best on feathered selections?
2. Overlay - to give an image the texture in the top image
Dissolve is also useful to apply a Golden shining effect.
On any image: add a layer, fill with Golden colour, set mode = dissolve with opacity 15
(05-22-2017, 03:21 AM)sallyanne Wrote: I have only discovered what a few do.
For some people it may be experimenting. For others it may be straight forward and others?
Would like to see what people think/know a layer mode does and the best way to implement it.
1. Dissolve - I found out by experimentation that the dissolve mode works best on feathered selections?
2. Overlay - to give an image the texture in the top image

Dissolve is an interesting mode: instead of blending the mask (top layer) and the image (whatever is below the mask) with standard arithmetic operations like other modes, it draws pixels at random from both, with a probability "weighed" by the opacity of the mask.  So where the mask layer is fully opaque the pixels are all from the mask and where it is transparent they are all from the image, and where the mask has a 66% opacity a pixel has two chances our of three to be a copy of the mask pixels and one chance to be a copy of the image one.

Image below:
  • bottom layer is white
  • top layer is black
  • using a white-to-black gradient in the layer mask, the top layer has a varying opacity
If you do a rectangle selection which is a vertical 1-pixel strip at x=150 you can use the "Histogram" dialog to check that it contains roughly 50% black pixels, and if you move it to 200 (2/3) you'll find 33% black pixels.

Thanks guys.
For those of us who don't know much about the different layer modes though could you let us know what they are best for?
Maybe for future members too.

Smile
Sallyanne, do you know (have) the filter "script-fu-all-layer-modes"?
Given an image it shows on a montage the effects of each layer mode.
Just an idea...

PS: it doesn't answer your question, but it could be helpful
(05-22-2017, 04:56 PM)dinasset Wrote: Sallyanne, do you know (have) the filter "script-fu-all-layer-modes"?
Just an idea...

Another way:

Hover your mouse over the mode selection area (where it says Mode: Normal) and then use the mouse wheel to run through the layer modes to see the effect of each.
(05-22-2017, 04:56 PM)dinasset Wrote: Sallyanne, do you know (have) the filter "script-fu-all-layer-modes"?
Just an idea...

Thank you. I know I had a ? in my original post but It wasn't originally a question, but for other people to put their 'tips' about the different layer modes...which is why I thought it might go in the tips category. Must have been wrong

@ blighty, Thank you

Smile
(05-23-2017, 12:16 PM)sallyanne Wrote: Thank you. I know I had a ? in my original post but It wasn't originally a question, but for other people to put their 'tips' about the different layer modes...which is why I thought it might go in the tips category. Must have been wrong

"Tutorials and tips" is for definite answers. A reader should find all the needed knowledge in the first post.
(05-23-2017, 01:30 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:16 PM)sallyanne Wrote: Thank you. I know I had a ? in my original post but It wasn't originally a question, but for other people to put their 'tips' about the different layer modes...which is why I thought it might go in the tips category. Must have been wrong

"Tutorials and tips" is for definite answers. A reader should find all the needed knowledge in the first post.
Thanks

Smile
The obvious source of information about the various layer modes is the manual: https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-concep...modes.html