Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layer Selection always switches back to one specific layer?
Exclamation 
This just started happening today.  

When I click on any layer in the image, it immediately switches the selection back to another layer.  It's always the 'same' layer.  
But when I click on a layer in the Layer Tab, it retains that layer as the one it switches to, if I click on a layer in the images.  Hope that's not confusing.   Angel

I have rebooted and checked my controllers to make sure nothing is interfering with things.  I have rebooted.  And I have created a new image and added some text layers. And that image and layers has the same problem. 

I tried googling for a fix, but found nothing specific to this issue.  
Any help is greatly appreciated!!   Heart

PS: I also reinstalled Gimp and Reset the Preferences to Default. Damn, what is wrong with this??
Your profile says Gimp 2.4 but that is most unlikely. Use Help -> About which will give the Gimp version. The latest is Gimp 2.10.22

Quote:When I click on any layer in the image, it immediately switches the selection back to another layer.  It's always the 'same' layer. 

What tool are you using ? Gimp is always using an active tool. The only one I know of that automatically changes layers is the move tool. 
The way this works is click in a layer and if the pixel under the cursor is not solid, it finds the next layer down with a solid pixel. You very often see this with a text layer, click on it to move and the background layer is moved instead.

Before Gimp 2.10 the default was return to the active layer, now it is move to 'found' layer. This is controlled in Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options and the Set layer or Path as Active toggle

Check which is used and a quick comparison of each mode  https://i.imgur.com/BlDRkna.mp4

Reinstalling Gimp rarely fixes anything. All the settings are in your Gimp User Profile which is retained with a re-installation. (ie. back to square one Wink )
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was wrong. I'm running 2.10.22.

Awesome!! Thanks Rich!! That fixed it. Yes I was using the Move tool. I was playing with the Preferences this morning and don't remember changing that. But maybe I did. But I did click the Reset button in Preferences and that didn't fix it.

If that box is checked as the default for 2.10, then clicking the Reset should check it back on, shouldn't it? I just tested it and Reset unchecks that box. Maybe it's a bug? Sure would have helped this morning.