Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers Are All Invisible
I saved this document on another PC, then installed Gimp here and this is how the file opens.  All the layers are in the list, but none of them show up.  Its as though they are all empty.  Some have pictures, some have text but only a sliver of two of the layers are displaying properly.

Attached Files
.xcf   MtD.xcf (Size: 23.31 KB / Downloads: 200)
(10-18-2019, 12:49 PM)ericnyoder Wrote: I saved this document on another PC, then installed Gimp here and this is how the file opens.  All the layers are in the list, but none of them show up.  Its as though they are all empty.  Some have pictures, some have text but only a sliver of two of the layers are displaying properly.

You only need to enable the eyes for all layers. Just as it is in the first layer

P.S:
I looked at the .xcf and it seems that only two of the layers have something that is visible, the other layers even enabling visibility still have nothing. Even with Alpha for Selection, nothing is selected.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(10-18-2019, 01:58 PM)Krikor Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 12:49 PM)ericnyoder Wrote: I saved this document on another PC, then installed Gimp here and this is how the file opens.  All the layers are in the list, but none of them show up.  Its as though they are all empty.  Some have pictures, some have text but only a sliver of two of the layers are displaying properly.

You only need to enable the eyes for all layers. Just as it is in the first layer

P.S:
I looked at the .xcf and it seems that only two of the layers have something that is visible, the other layers even enabling visibility still have nothing. Even with Alpha for Selection, nothing is selected.

Yeah - All the content seems to have disappeared.  I enabled the eyes and still nothing. Gone.
(10-18-2019, 03:53 PM)ericnyoder Wrote:
(10-18-2019, 01:58 PM)Krikor Wrote:

P.S:

Yeah - All the content seems to have disappeared.  I enabled the eyes and still nothing. Gone.

The file is only 23K, it cannot contain much.
You don't happen to have the original somewhere safe, an external HD back-up maybe, maybe check that if you do.
I think you have build up layers, make the underlying layers invisible and then work on a new upper layer. If one make a selection on a top layer and an underlying layer is selected in the layers dock but invisible and one think that one erase a selection on the top layer then there is information erased on the selected underlying layer but it is not noticed because the layer is invisible. If one select the right layer in the layers dock because one see no result and erase the same selection, then one see the result that one want but the underlying layer was erased.  If one save the picture with some layers invisible then one think everything on the underlying invisible layers is ok but information was erased. I think that happened.