Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Layers in Gimp stuck
#1
I should admit I try to use gimp since only 2 weeks because I was interested by the new version (2.10.10) and, I tried before (2.6) but was discouradged. :-)
Usually I use other win App, because seems more intuitive to me, but I decided to retry this new version.

So my question will be simple and related to layers:

I have an image, map of a building, and just try create with layers an editable objet with a round colored circle with a colored border + an text (number) in it.

To create the backgroup, colored circle, no problem I create 2 (transparent) layers circles of different size, then "flat" them in one layers, then Crop to the desired size.
Then I add (with the text tool) then umber '1' just above, and I group the layer + text (object ? layer ?) to keep them
I can move this 'object'

As the goal is to have same objet multiplied to have number 1, 2, 3 etc...on different location of the plan, I use the function Clone layers. Clone seem to be ok, I can see the cloned objet.
But the problem is that I am unable to move the cloned "numbers" as they seem to be "attached" in some way, I y move them or all move or I can both linked by some square and only one visible at a time ??

I do not want to flat each of them because they are subjet to change in the future. so keeping sources should allow me to "edit" my image any time and change what I want.

I suppose Gimp has its onw way of working that I do not understand, as I can do this kind of thing (clone, copy [on another image or not] multiply, move [individual layers or grouped]  etc) in just 3 easy mouse clicks and 4 minutes in an old app like fe: firework 10 years old version. Smile

So what is wrong (from me) in Gimp way of working to do such easy base work ?

Any help welcome.
Thank you
Reply
#2
I think I understand what you are trying.

Quote:To create the backgroup, colored circle, no problem I create 2 (transparent) layers circles of different size, then "flat" them in one layers, then Crop to the desired size.
Then I add (with the text tool) then umber '1' just above, and I group the layer + text (object ? layer ?) to keep them

Something like this screenshot: https://imgur.com/m0fiEEk.jpg

Quote:But the problem is that I am unable to move the cloned "numbers" as they seem to be "attached" in some way, I y move them or all move or I can both linked by some square and only one visible at a time ??

This bit I am not sure what you are doing. Duplicate the layer group, and use the move tool. If you have problems because of transparency then toggle move active layer. screenshot: https://imgur.com/HuhI05U.jpg

When in position, Use the text tool, click on the number, backspace to clear, type in new number. screenshot: https://imgur.com/a61xnjS.jpg
Repeat as many times as required.

It could be you are just not on the correct layer for whatever operation - moving / text. Make sure you save your image as a Gimp .xcf whiich keeps all layers, text as text ..etc.
Reply
#3
Hello and thank you for the reply Smile

Quote:I think I understand what you are trying.

To create the backgroup, colored circle, no problem I create 2 (transparent) layers circles of different size, then "flat" them in one layers, then Crop to the desired size.
Then I add (with the text tool) then umber '1' just above, and I group the layer + text (object ? layer ?) to keep them

Quote:Something like this screenshot:  https://imgur.com/m0fiEEk.jpg   

Yes this is excately what I want to do

Quote:But the problem is that I am unable to move the cloned "numbers" as they seem to be "attached" in some way, I y move them or all move or I can both linked by some square and only one visible at a time ??

Quote:This bit I am not sure what you are doing.  Duplicate the layer group, and use the move tool. If you have problems because of transparency then toggle move active layer. screenshot: https://imgur.com/HuhI05U.jpg

And this is what I did also but not whit this result !?
Except "If you have problems because of transparency then toggle move active layer" because I do not understand this feature role and condition, but I will try.

Quote:When in position, Use the text tool, click on the number, backspace to clear, type in new number. screenshot: https://imgur.com/a61xnjS.jpg
Repeat as many times as required.

Also what I did and seen in layers tools, I could see the groups with my layer grouped, then duplicate as in you print screen, but then was unble to perform the move.
Exemple in image I encouter one week ago: just 2 object not grouped but unable to move and reason is not clear.

[img]<a href=[/img][Image: 2019-010.png]" />

Anyway I will retry slowly with a new one.

Quote:It could be you are just not on the correct layer for whatever operation - moving / text.

Maybe Smile  I am open to any possiblity.

Quote:Make sure you save your image as a Gimp .xcf whiich keeps all layers, text as text ..etc.


Yes of course as the goal is to be able to edit this anytime when (meetig) rooms change.  Moreover this must reamins easy to use as, when clear for me, I have to "educate" my colleagues to be able to do that with a procedure.  And they have no image notion nor background experience. If too difficult I will need to find another solution.

Thank you rich2005. I hope come back soon to tell you all is ok.
Reply
#4
Here it is in xcf format. Open the file and look at the layers.

1. Create the "1" Group
2. Duplicate the "1" Group
3. Edit the the text layer from 1 to 2
4. Use the Move Tool to move the Group into position


Attached Files
.xcf   NumberGroups.xcf (Size: 40.72 KB / Downloads: 23)
Reply
#5
As well as Blighty's post here is a little video with some things you can do (maybe)

https://youtu.be/DPrn2IL-ldE duration 4 minutes

looks like you have closed the tool options, always a sign of trying to look like PS. Never a good idea Wink
Reply
#6
(06-01-2019, 03:38 PM)Blighty Wrote: Here it is in xcf format. Open the file and look at the layers.

1. Create the "1" Group
2. Duplicate the "1" Group
3. Edit the the text layer from 1 to 2
4. Use the Move Tool to move the Group into position

Hello Blighty

Than you for your file.
I spent some time this afernoon to view some other different video tutorials (in french as it is my mother langage).
The goal is to understand why I do not make it in a good way for a basic operation.  I don't like when I don't understand Angry  Plus I need to understand completely as my goal is to be able to explain/help other people about this "limited" operation. Plan update happen maybe 3 or 6 times a year, but they will need to do it without me, I must kep it simple.
It seems I get some (more) important information about Gimp that are really different eslwhere.  Maybe I will be better in some days Wink 

In the meantime you file will help me to test or modify more quicly.

Thank you very much.

(06-01-2019, 04:14 PM)rich2005 Wrote: As well as Blighty's post here is a little video with some things you can do (maybe)

https://youtu.be/DPrn2IL-ldE  duration 4 minutes

looks like you have closed the tool options, always a sign of trying to look like PS. Never a good idea Wink

Thank you so much for this I will have a look immediately Idea Smile

About PS, I do not use it at all, not because I don't like it or I am "anti MS", it is just too expensive for me and don't need to hack something if it exist other possiblities.
Exept this job that is something I have proposed to my colleagues, on a personnal point of view it would be great if I can learn enough to manage my personnal picture (from my Canon I am not a graphist geek). 
Depending the need I use different windows tools already and will continue, but Gimp may become a alternative for advanced modification, why not Smile

Thank you again and probably see you all soon Smile

(06-01-2019, 03:38 PM)Blighty Wrote: Here it is in xcf format. Open the file and look at the layers.

1. Create the "1" Group
2. Duplicate the "1" Group
3. Edit the the text layer from 1 to 2
4. Use the Move Tool to move the Group into position

4 minutes later Smile
I will look at it again (and slowly) but this is exactely what I need ! Smile
I notice some little differences with what I did, so I will examine this now and follow the tuto..

Again thank you to you (and everybody here) Heart
Reply


Forum Jump: