Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Layers question from newbie
Hi,

In this post (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVnI3l9fgE), the instructor can move the content of a layer around by clicking the layer, the object on that layer is automatically selected and he can do whatever he wants to with the object: move it, change the size etc.

When I select a layer the object is NOT selected automatically; it is even impossible to select it in whatever way. To move the object around I have to move the whole layer. Furthermore if I want to resize an object, I have to change the scale of the layer, since I cannot select the object itself.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the way things are done in GIMP (2.8.22)

Looking forward to any comments and/or tips.

Kindest regards, Leo.
There are no objects in Gimp, only layers. In this tutorial, each letter is a separate layer (while the typical usage is that "Layers" would be one single layer).

See the Move tool options (Tool options dialog). Auto-selection is an option than can be enable/disabled. Furthermore, by default the Move tool picks the topmost layer which is not transparent where you click, so you have to click on the letters and not near them if you want to move them. You can use "the "Move active layer" by checking the option in the options dialog.
Hi ofnuts,

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for me replying so late.

So if i choose a new layer, draw something ( a circle and a square), open a new layer, draw something (a triangle) and than decide I want to change the circle. As far as I understand it now the only way to do that is to delete the first layer, open a new one and draw it again, with the circle changed accordingly my new wishes.

To prevent situations like this would imply that I set up a new layer for every line (being a circle or square in my example) I want to draw. In the case of more complicated drawings it would lead to an enormous amount of layers.

KR, Leo.
(06-12-2017, 12:07 PM)lpvmc Wrote: Hi ofnuts,

Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for me replying so late.

So if i choose a new layer, draw something ( a circle and a square), open a new layer, draw something (a triangle) and than decide I want to change the circle. As far as I understand it now the only way to do that is to delete the first layer, open a new one and draw it again, with the circle changed accordingly my new wishes.

To prevent situations like this would imply that I set up a new layer for every line (being a circle or square in my example) I want to draw. In the case of more complicated drawings it would lead to an enormous amount of layers.

Yes, and that's not a problem. Gimp is designed to work that way. Having one layer per object allows you to reposition them easily, change the way they overlap, change the color of some without changing the others, etc. You can use "layer groups" to keep/change together related layers.