Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenovo Brand
(06-29-2017, 10:53 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(06-29-2017, 09:41 PM)Harry Wrote: I know this is an old topic...but still of interest.

I currently draw professionally using a Lenovo T61 and I have to say, it was money well spent. Bought well before 2005. I installed 8Gb back then and never regretted it. It's currently long in the tooth as the battery has long since passed away and some of the keys take two hits before they respond. The cooling fan died 2 to 3 years ago and I replaced it with one that barely works. It's currently my beater laptop for on the road. I do wireless file transfer using Linux Mint to/from the desktop.

I'm currently looking to replace it with either a new Lenovo, Dell, or System 76. These laptops come highly rated.
Dell and System 76 can be bought with Linux preinstalled. They are pricey, but man...they can fly. The latest SSD have impressive boot speeds...like blink your eyes, and they are ready for work. No lag on drawing with digitizer pads.

Smoking fast Dell computers

and if your wallet is really fat...System 76

These are not for the faint of heart.  Wink

-Harry
Had a T60 but that was a very long time ago (I think I have used a T410 and a T430 each for 3-4 years since). Now running a P50. Pricey, but it screams. Also built to some MIL standard: among other things it is resilient to liquid spill on the keyboard, and there is a keyboard drain orifice on the under side (I swear I'm not making this up). As usual with Lenovos, the display is above average.

The T61 has the coffee drain ports as well. When you disassemble the keyboard, you can see channels where liquids can flow out the bottom of the laptop. The laptop also had the technology to detect weightlessness (a fall) and shut down the HDD to reduce loss of data. I suspect all laptops now have this feature that is just not advertised anymore. I bought the T61 for a trip to Iraq when I was in the National Guard. Never got deployed due to illness. I'll run the T61 till the HDD fails, then upgrade the firmware to accept SSD if the keyboard can hold up. Still a good beater.

By the way...is there a way to turn off the growing quotes? If so, I don't see how to do it.

-Harry
(06-30-2017, 12:06 AM)Harry Wrote: By the way...is there a way to turn off the growing quotes? If so, I don't see how to do it.

Server-wide setting, was set to 5, now down to 3.
@Harry

Editing replies seems to be a thing of the past, maybe an upbringing on comp.graphics.apps.gimp but I hate to see a whole page of quotes followed by - "that’s nice" ..and do not get me started on top posting Wink

Editing the quotes to something meaningful.

Go into text mode as circled then delete the bits you want between the BB quote code.

[Image: BHpLHCd.jpg]

Lenovo
I keep this old (2007 - ish) X61 just for video recording. The ancient hauppauge usb capture software really needs Win XP, in theory linux supports it, but no, so there it is, old M$. Do not worry, this never goes anywhere near the Internet. It dual boots to linux for that rare event.
These old computers are great to update. Pulled out the existing hdd, slid a SSD back in, away you go.

[Image: eOtlU3M.jpg]