Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linear histogram very low visibility
Hi guys, is it possible to make linear histogram more visible? Because as it is, for larger images, I cannot use it at all, but logarithmic only. Am I missing something here?

Attached Files Image(s)

This is exactly why there is a log view. In the linear view, a spike on any value make the rest invisible.
Erm, I'm sorry if I'm not getting this correctly, but isn't this a flawed design? I mean, sure, it's probably more accurate now, but since it's not readable, I question the usability.

Shouldn't there be some kind of threshold that would basically prevent this and state "yes, XYZ channel(s) has gone through the roof as shown with the spike, but here's the rest of it".
Sort of like, zooming in or out.

Because in many situations, I have at least one of the channels spiked and I find linear histogram unreadable most of the time, switching back to Log.

And of course, I could just leave at logarithmic view, but I find it not informative enough. Sometimes I REALLY have to know certain dynamics and exact position of black and white areas and Log. just doesn't show that nicely.
(02-21-2020, 10:25 PM)maboleth Wrote: Erm, I'm sorry if I'm not getting this correctly, but isn't this a flawed design? I mean, sure, it's probably more accurate now, but since it's not readable, I question the usability.

Shouldn't there be some kind of threshold that would basically prevent this and state "yes, XYZ channel(s) has gone through the roof as shown with the spike, but here's the rest of it".
Sort of like, zooming in or out.

Because in many situations, I have at least one of the channels spiked and I find linear histogram unreadable most of the time, switching back to Log.

And of course, I could just leave at logarithmic view, but I find it not informative enough. Sometimes I REALLY have to know certain dynamics and exact position of black and white areas and Log. just doesn't show that nicely.

Since there is no scale, if you zoom in  you are lost... This histogram is not meant to give you an accurate measure, but to give you an idea of of the spread of pixel values. My cameras have the same, and coincidentally they use the log version.

If you want an accurate measure, you use the two handles to define a range and this will tell you how many pixels are in that range.