Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live view with svg filter applied, while changing contrast and tones
On my website I apply SVG filters to black and white images.
The effect is a multitone effect achieved by gradient mapping the black and white image with feColorMatrix.

Normally I use black and white pictures with a high contrast for a better multitone effect, but sometimes still doesn't look good enough, so I might need to adjust other parameters then contrast.

What I want is to open a black and white image in Gimp, import my multitone svg filter and apply it to the image as a layer or otherwise so I can see the effect (I don't know if this is possible), and while the effect is on, change the contrast and other parameters of the black and white image to see the output with the filter on...

Any recommendations how to achieve this in Gimp (or in other software)?
I am not sure that Gimp can load an .svg file as a layer, and render the filter on the image just like browsers do.
You can import a svg file into Gimp, but SVG filters are not supported and will be ignored.
You can achieve the same effect as feColorMatrix with the Channel Mixer filter :

1) open your black and white image
2) menu Colors > Components > Channel Mixer...
Each slider correspond to an entry in the ColorMatrix.
(03-04-2021, 12:07 AM)tmanni Wrote: You can import a svg file into Gimp, but SVG filters are not supported and will be ignored.
You can achieve the same effect as feColorMatrix with the Channel Mixer filter :

1) open your black and white image
2) menu Colors > Components > Channel Mixer...
Each slider correspond to an entry in the ColorMatrix.

And is it possible to export the effect that I created with the Channel Mixer as an svg?
If you are into that kind of SVG editing, you should use Inkscape. It has been designed to edit SVG.
(03-04-2021, 07:37 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you are into that kind of SVG editing, you should use Inkscape. It has been designed to edit SVG.

Okay, I'll seek out an Inkscape forum.
(03-04-2021, 02:03 PM)adamalleman Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 07:37 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If you are into that kind of SVG editing, you should use Inkscape. It has been designed to edit SVG.

Here: https://inkscape.org/forums/ (same site for download)
(03-04-2021, 02:38 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(03-04-2021, 02:03 PM)adamalleman Wrote:

Here: https://inkscape.org/forums/ (same site for download)

Thanks.
Can I import and activate an SVG filter as I did it in Inkscape?

https://i.imgur.com/jCKrDcM.png

Now what I want is to adjust the black and white image levels while the filter is still on, and see the changes live.

In InkScape I couldn't find out how to edit he image levels while the filter is on, in live view.

I found a solution, it's not live view though.

Image need to be opened in InkScape as "link", and then right click > edit externally.

It will open the image in Gimp, and every time the image is saved in Gimp, the image will refresh in InkScape.