Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text Effect
Too many screenshots for here, so a combined one: https://i.imgur.com/ei7191w.jpg
(1) Is the text formed in a background image Uses the text layer to make a layer mask.
(2) Is a flat outline layer Uses the text path to stroke a new layer
(3) Is the outline layer with a bumpmap applied
(4) The bumpmap used. Comes from the outline and blurred.

Hi,

Step 1:

Not sure how to do it. I selected the text, then moved to background image layer and " Add a layer mask "

I am able to do step 2. I selected the text, used shrink = 4px

3. I am not sure what info to pass on for the bump map. I tried Filters > Map > Bumpmap

But none of the sliders is causing any effect on the golden outline layer.
For number 3, have you also tried 'layer effects' inside or outside bevel under bevel and emboss

Smile
(02-22-2023, 11:00 PM)meetdilip Wrote: 3. I am not sure what info to pass on for the bump map. I tried Filters > Map > Bumpmap

But none of the sliders is causing any effect on the golden outline layer.

You need to pass your map to the bump map dialog
1 - click on that button and a dialog will extend ("[x] Aux input", should be checked like on my screenshot to activate the map input)
2- select the opened image (click on it), then the dialog extends again, select your map > click on it (can be in the channel as well), but here it's your screenshot number 4, layer "map"?
3- Now the sliders will do something Wink
Tip: Waterlevel is for the amount of transparency taking in or out, this slider works only if the layer of your map has transparencies in it, otherwise have no worries if it does nothing Wink

@meetdilip

There is nothing there that you have never done before. It is just all about how Gimp works.

A more full explanation https://youtu.be/nMP_gLjBhkM  4 minutes but in practise you make the outline in a minute. Have it done before you dig out that clever plug-in or other that never seems to work as you want it.

Keep experimenting, it is worth it.
@meetdilip

I see you asked about making the body of the text stand out. It is another bevel, you could use the suggestion for LayerFX but you get what you are given.

Just more bump-mapping. Practice using it.

ends up like this