Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Long lost filter
Lets try again,

I have a photo to which I applied a filter 5 years ago. I need to identify the filter. Not close but the actual filter. All I have to go on is the photo itself, with the filter applied of course. Can anyone help me, I am new to forums, first ever post but in theory, I figured someone would recognise it. I don't know how to insert the image, when I click on insert an image, instead of browse where I could select and post the image, the dialogue box asks for a URL address. I may just have found the attachment command.


Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
To obtain the effect of smooth surfaces and rounded geometry, try Filters > Blur > Mean Curvature Blur...
For a less degenerated geometry and sharper edges, Tools > Gegl operation... and choose Bilateral Filter
Could be Artistic>OIlify... But actual settings are anyone's guess. Plus the Oilify filter has been rewritten for GEGL, so if you want absolutely equal processing you would have to dig out an old version of Gimp.
Thank you, I'll look into that but to be honest I really don't know what you are saying.. Oilify sounds a bit familiar, all I know is that it ended in 'fy' but what does this actually mean.....?

'Plus the Oilify filter has been ref=written for GEGL, so if you want absolutely equal processing you would have to dig out an old version of Gimp'.

That may as well be Chinese to me sorry. It makes me think I used something old that is no longer around? Yes? If so, is there an equivalent filter, or something so similar I couldn't tell the difference?

Oilify is more of an "artistic" filter where people tweak parameters until they get a result that looks nice with the picture at hand. I don't think developers feel too obliged to the reproduce the exact same results as in the previous version. But of course I could be wrong.

You can always get your initial image, use the new Oilify and see of you can get the same results with it.
Thank you. I will try all suggestions. Probably a bit optimistic to think I could just post the photo and someone says 'I know that filter, it's....' I will have to rediscover it.
I think tmanni answered with the right solution, mean curvature blur. There is also a (transparent) face, hands and smartphone from the photographer visible on the photo and on the right side a piece of a window frame. I think the photo is taken from reflection on a window and then used the mean curvature blur filter. The photo has an orange color haze because it was long exposed to light. I've used the filter on another photo to show a photo before/after :


Forum Jump: