Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loss of quality though PDF files
Hi
I am running gimp 2.8 and I am importing PDF files. And on all PDF files that I have imported there is a loss of quality. However this dose not happen if I import a jpeg
Are you really using Gimp 2.8? For any version of Gimp.

Gimp by default will open a PDF with a resolution of 100 ppi.

Open the PDF with a resolution of 300 ppi, which is commonly equated to photo quality.

Sceenshot of what to look for here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-PDF-fi...6#pid13176

Of course still depends on the PDF. If a low quality image is embedded then no amount of adjustment will improve it.

edit: You know, posting the same question on multiple sites does not really improve your chances of getting an answer, especially a question that has been asked before. A search might have got you an answer straight away.
I dont know how to import the item or get that box to display in the screen shot
(03-15-2020, 05:37 PM)huckel Wrote: I dont know how to import the item or get that box to display in the screen shot

Really? Maybe it will be better if you give a bit of information on which operating system you are using and where you got the version of Gimp 2.8 It might be broken.

However, various ways to open any supported image format in Gimp, but the best way is always using the Gimp menu File -> Open

This is an example: https://i.imgur.com/6ZmEgnR.mp4

Note that when the resolution is changed from 100 ppi to 300 ppi the image size in pixels increases. Gimp is a bitmap editor and works in pixels which has a bearing on quality.
I think I found it thanks, it was set to 100 so I will set it to 300 then

PS I run linux mint 1.9 which has gimp allready instaled and win xp which I installed gimp myself. bough are versions 2.8 (not the easyest to use)
(03-15-2020, 07:29 PM)huckel Wrote: I think I found it thanks, it was set to 100 so I will set it to 300 then

PS I run linux mint 1.9 which has gimp allready instaled and win xp which I installed gimp myself. bough are versions 2.8 (not the easyest to use)

I would stick with the linux Mint 19 Gimp 2.8.22 It is more stable than some old version of Gimp in WinXP which might need ghostscript installing for opening a PDF.

There is a learning curve with everything, Gimp is no exception. 

In Mint you can install the Gimp help files. In a terminal use:

Code:
sudo apt install gimp-help-en