Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
File New problem
I have Gimp 2.10.20 rev 1
My camera on current setting takes a file 6000 X 4000  - 9Mb average size and loads into Gimp for editing no problem but if I then go to File new and try to make a new image that size it warns me I am making a image of 232 Mb and set in preference max 134.2 why should it make a image that large when my photos are only 9Mb ?
The physical size of the image file on disk depends on the format of the file. Jpeg format is always compressed and 8 bit. Opened in Gimp and the size shown is uncompressed size held in computer 'memory' That will increase as editing progress, undo's , extra layers etc. When finally saved / exported the file size again depends on the format used.

This an example just pulled out of my photos. Exactly the same photo from the camera. 4912x3280 pix
Jpeg image, 8 bit size on file 5 MB size in Gimp 150 MB
RAW image, size on file 20 MB imported into Gimp as 16 bit, size in Gimp 300 MB (as you might expect at 2x bit depth)

Quote:File new and try to make a new image that size it warns me I am making a image of 232 Mb

It is just a warning, in case you mix up pixels and metres in the new file dialogue Wink Not usually a problem if you have sufficient computor resourses. The setting can be changed in Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources Maximum New Image Size if you find the warning annoying.
(09-10-2020, 08:55 AM)sparky 1987 Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 07:09 AM)rich2005 Wrote: The physical size of the image file on disk depends on the format of the file. Jpeg format is always compressed and 8 bit. Opened in Gimp and the size shown is uncompressed size held in computer 'memory' That will increase as editing progress, undo's , extra layers etc. When finally saved / exported the file size again depends on the format used.

This an example just pulled out of my photos. Exactly the same photo from the camera. 4912x3280 pix
Jpeg image, 8 bit size on file 5 MB size in Gimp 150 MB
RAW image, size on file 20 MB imported into Gimp as 16 bit, size in Gimp 300 MB (as you might expect at 2x bit depth)

Quote:File new and try to make a new image that size it warns me I am making a image of 232 Mb

It is just a warning, in case you mix up pixels and metres in the new file dialogue Wink Not usually a problem if you have sufficient computor resourses. The setting can be changed in Edit -> Preferences -> System Resources Maximum New Image Size if you find the warning annoying.

Thanks and yes when I looked at picture from camera I see it is also like 300Mb too in Gimp.