Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make a scan document look flat (remove shadows)
Hello!

I am new here and need some help!

So my wife made some tea dyied paper that I scanned... Problem is that because of the fluids the paper is not flat anymore.

You can clearly see it on the scan (shadows)

Now I tried a lot of youtube tutorials but it never fit my situation.

Does someone have a tip for me? A solution?

I would appreciate it very much!

EDIT: here is part of the picture attached

Best,
Pyrrhon

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You image has not come through.
Perhaps it is too large for the forum. Can you post it to some storage such as dropbox and post the link here.
Hi,

I think it fits now, I updated the thread and attached the picture (206Kb)
One solution with Gimp 2.10:

* Filters>Enhance>Wavelet decompose and decompose to maximum level (7).
* In the 'Residual' layer, sample the color (sample average with a marge radius)
* Bucket-fill the layer with the sample color (so tha it becomes a uniform layer)

A "softer" but a bit more labor-intensive version is to paint the problem areas of the Residual layer with a large and soft brush.

A more perfect version would also do something similar on the nect to last layer (level 7).

A completely different solution is to do two scans after rotating the paper by 180° in between. Then in Gimp you align the two images and set the top one to "Lighten only". Caveat: this requires an accurate scanner, the scanners of combined printer-scanners are rarely accurate enough.
Thanks for the thourough answer! I will let you know what worked.

Best
jb

One solution with Gimp 2.10:

* Filters>Enhance>Wavelet decompose and decompose to maximum level (7).
* In the 'Residual' layer, sample the color (sample average with a marge radius)
* Bucket-fill the layer with the sample color (so tha it becomes a uniform layer)

A "softer" but a bit more labor-intensive version is to paint the problem areas of the Residual layer with a large and soft brush.

A more perfect version would also do something similar on the nect to last layer (level 7).

A completely different solution is to do two scans after rotating the paper by 180° in between. Then in Gimp you align the two images and set the top one to "Lighten only". Caveat: this requires an accurate scanner, the scanners of combined printer-scanners are rarely accurate enough.
Hi,

Wavelet Decompose seems to be a good option, I am going further into it with tutorials!

Thank you so much,

best
pyrrhon