Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make a selection from a path
I am currently using Photoshop with a monthly subscription and love it! The monthly cost of £20, I don't love so much.

I mainly use PS to to edit cards and add them to my website - removed - rich

The process I was using with PS was to scan the cards, open them in PS, straighten the card I want to do first then crop it so I have just that image/card. Next I would use the Pen Tool to round the corners and add the finished image to a larger image.

My question is simple. How do I create a selection from the path for the rounded corners and then delete this, leaving a nicely rounded corner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Sorry but the link to your web site has gone. You are selling these cards so that is classed as advertising.

MacOS - Is that a Gimp 2.10.14 ?  Not sure what a PS Pen Tool does but in Gimp you can use the Rectangular Select Tool and in tool options enable 'Rounded Corners' set a value for the radius  and that is applied to the selection. The quickest way then is copy the selection and paste as a new image.

In Gimp 2.10.14,
Add an alpha channel for transparency Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel
Use the measure tool to straighten.
Make the selection with rounded corners.
Either copy and paste as a new image
or
Invert selection and cut leaving the card. Close the selection and remove the excess with Image -> Crop to content
Save your work as a Gimp .xcf or Export as a .png to preserve the transparency.

A 2' 30'' video of that https://youtu.be/eNDIbcM5lco

@UTT
I did not really answer your specific question Wink    A selection from a path. Providing you have a path, unsurprisingly it is Select -> From Path (Shift -V) or Right Click in the Paths dock and it is the icon four along from the right.

If you have not made a path then it might go like this: https://youtu.be/-8mVDgZ5U2U duration 2 minutes.