Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make shades of the same color more visable
Hello Everyone

I've made a card boarder which is filled with a geometric shape pattern where each induvidual triangle in the pattern has a slight difference in shade of the base color. Each card type has a diffrent base color, but the same pattern so I've only use the color drop menu to change the color base of each identical layer to each card type. 

Preview of my red shade card:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BRkr0t...FfNjqvHtXT

My problem is that the geomertic patterna now bleeds together, instead of shades of red triangles, the printed version comes out almost solid red. Is their any setting or any other technique i can use to increase the pop-factor between the shades in my pattern?
You don't supply an unaltered version of the image so that we can see what the triangle pattern should look like.
The color drop menu has many optioons. You don't say which one you are using or what settings you use.

I notice that the bottom portion of the card has a whitish halo. Is that intended or an unwanted feature?

How many layers does your image have and which layer are you altering?

Your tiff file is 1756 KB. Exporting as png reduces the file size to 197 KB.
This is the base image https://drive.google.com/open?id=13ChMiX...3kkemHjrfA and i believe i used colorify to create the color specified layers. Each pattern layer is only 1 color altered layer, but the gimp-file itself is individual layers for everything, black boarders, images, text etc. So accessing specific parts of the card without effect the total should be easy for me. Which also means if its easier for me to start from scratch with this pattern to get a better result coloring it in a diffrent way from the start its no problem for me.

The halo was not intended but i can fix that, thanks for pointig it out, I hadnt seen it.

I did a previous project, where I exported as JPEG, but it came out poorly and I got the tip then to use tiff format not comprimize quality. So I just stuck with tiff thinking it would export the best result.

Thanks for responding Smile
If I get it correctly in your card the pattern is only visible in the edges, so instead of being a wide area it is just a narrow strip. This prevents our eyes from seeing the pattern as a whole. You could have some luck making the triangles much smaller so that the strip can contain complete triangles.
I took your texture pattern and used Colors > Desaturate to make it grayscale. I then used  Colors > Colorize to colorize strips into different colours. What you could try is to increase the contrast on the grayscale image before using colorize.

But as Ofnuts said, the image is too subtle when only thin strips of it are seen.

Note: your texture pattern is indexed which could give you problems. Use Image > Mode > RGB

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the great tips, advice and quick help, never has a forum given such quality help so fast. I will definately play around with the advice and rework my cards frames. Thanks again Smile
Quote:...the printed version comes out almost solid red.

That is part of the problem. What you see on your computer monitor changes (usually  darker) when printed. Really you need a colour calibrated monitor but you can get closer by reducing the brightness of the monitor.  

A simple screen check / adjust here: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori...ration.htm

Even then, you might need to increase the image brightness to get closer match. If it is home printing, print a colour chart and compare with what you see on your computer. If a commercial printer then ask if they have a sample colour chart printed on the same type of card.

something like this:

Then this little problem you need to be aware of, color gamut:  Some RGB colors that you can see on your monitor (in particular, blue, green and all bright vibrant colors) cannot be printed and/or replicated with standard CMYK inks.

Looking at your tiff image, I can see the problem using my monitor, the reds merge together and I think going to be difficult to get 'subtle' A more distinct pattern might be better.