Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a background transparent
Hi,

I am working on creating a PowerPoint template and I have to use our corporate logos. I am not a graphics person and am befuddled. I looked up the procedure for making a background transparent but it seems like it was already done. But, when I change the background color of the template, the background covered by the graphics remain white.

Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for any assistance...
What makes you think it was already done? Given that images are very often displayed on white, and image with a white background is hard to distinguish from an image with a transparent one.
(12-13-2019, 05:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What makes you think it was already done? Given that images are very often displayed on white, and image with a white background is hard to distinguish from an image with a transparent one.

When I went to edit the image and add the alpha layer, there already was one.
I'm running into the same issue. The tutorials I've Googled (for instance: https://www.guidingtech.com/image-backgr...rent-gimp/) start with adding an alpha layer, but that option is grayed out on my task menus.
(12-13-2019, 04:18 PM)bazianm Wrote: But, when I change the background color of the template, the background covered by the graphics remain white.

Difficult to say without seeing the image. Possibly the white background of the logo has not been made transparent. Or you are exporting as jpg - jpg does not support transparency.

(12-13-2019, 07:37 PM)ephemere Wrote: I'm running into the same issue. The tutorials I've Googled (for instance: https://www.guidingtech.com/image-backgr...rent-gimp/) start with adding an alpha layer, but that option is grayed out on my task menus.

"alpha layer" is ambiguous. There is a transparent layer; or there is an alpha channel.
If the "Add alpha channel" is grayed out it means that there already is an alpha channel.

If there is no alpha channel there cannot be transparency.
If there is an alpha channel there may be transparency, but there doesn't have to be.
When you Export choose a format that supports transparency. jpg does not support transparency, png does.
(12-13-2019, 05:26 PM)bazianm Wrote:
(12-13-2019, 05:19 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: What makes you think it was already done? Given that images are very often displayed on white, and image with a white background is hard to distinguish from an image with a transparent one.

When I went to edit the image and add the alpha layer, there already was one.

The fact that there is an alpha channel doesn't mean the image is transparent, it only means it can become transparent. Necessary, but not sufficient.