Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math problem
Given a pattern of regularly spaced lines of equal width, over which moves a sliding window, can you compute the total visible width of the lines (or of the spaces), based on:
  • Window width
  • Spaces width
  • Lines width
  • Position of window (as an offset to the first space, for instance, but any other measure of you choice is OK

Iterating is prohibited (that's the hard part)
Sadly, I'm not into wavelength, even if we can remove the "speed" from the equation, it's too complex for my single neuron Sad
Surely the answer is: Anything you like Wink

Maybe better visualised as this, a sliding window, so eventually the offset position = zero

then if a 'cell' C = (space + line)
the "equivalent" number of cells = the integer of 'window width' / cell (I)
remainder of space S = 'window width' - I x C
total of space = I x space width + S
(05-03-2023, 10:17 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Surely the answer is: Anything you like Wink

Maybe better visualised as this, a sliding window, so eventually the offset position = zero

then if a 'cell' C = (space + line)
the "equivalent" number of cells = the integer of 'window width' / cell (I)
remainder of space S = 'window width' - I x C
total of space = I x space width + S

Good start, but eventually wrong (I went through that stage, too :-) )

The number of complete celles is the integer division of the window width, minus the offset, by a "cell". Then you have to figure out what it on the left and what is on the right (which depends on offset and grid thickness).
(05-04-2023, 10:51 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The number of complete celles is the integer division of the window width, minus the offset, by a "cell". Then you have to figure out what it on the left and what is on the right (wich depends on offset and space).

Well, that is what I did, except took the case where the offset = zero. Are you saying that is not equal to the general case as well ?
(05-04-2023, 11:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 10:51 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: The number of complete celles is the integer division of the window width, minus the offset, by a "cell". Then you have to figure out what it on the left and what is on the right (wich depends on offset and space).

Well, that is what I did, except took the case where the offset = zero. Are you saying that is not equal to the general case as well ?

No because you have edge cases (literally and figuratively) where a good part of the grid is outside the window, which increases the size of the visible spaces. For instance, for a 5+2 pattern and a width of 23:
Code:
offset  0, total  17 ([5, 5, 5, 2])
offset  1, total  16 ([5, 5, 5, 1])
offset  2, total  15 ([5, 5, 5])     # 4 full lines showing
offset  3, total  16 ([1, 5, 5, 5])
offset  4, total  17 ([2, 5, 5, 5])
offset  5, total  17 ([3, 5, 5, 4])
offset  6, total  17 ([4, 5, 5, 3])

And this is a very practical problem, I need this to know in advance the size of a layer where I keep only the spaces.
I do not understand that. As the window moves what is subtraced off one side is added to the other side so sum total space is constant.
(05-04-2023, 12:27 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I do not understand that. As the window moves what is subtraced off one side is added to the other side so sum total space is constant.

That's also what I thought, but this is only true if the window is an integer multiple of the cell. Otherwise depending on offset you can have a varying total number of grid lines across the window:

(illustration of numbers above, scaled 20x)
(05-04-2023, 11:45 AM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(05-04-2023, 11:05 AM)rich2005 Wrote:

No because you have edge cases (literally and figuratively) where a good part of the grid is outside the window, which increases the size of the visible spaces. For instance, for a 5+2 pattern and a width of 23:
Code:
offset  0, total  17 ([5, 5, 5, 2])
offset  1, total  16 ([5, 5, 5, 1])
offset  2, total  15 ([5, 5, 5])     # 4 full lines showing
offset  3, total  16 ([1, 5, 5, 5])
offset  4, total  17 ([2, 5, 5, 5])
offset  5, total  17 ([3, 5, 5, 4])
offset  6, total  17 ([4, 5, 5, 3])

And this is a very practical problem, I need this to know in advance the size of a layer where I keep only the spaces.

@rich2005 - consider the case where the window is the width of two lines plus the enclosed space. When the window starts at the left of the left-hand line and ends at the right of the right-hand one it will contain just one column of spaces. Now slide the window to the right by the width of a line and it will include the one complete column of spaces plus another part of a column of spaces that is the width of a line.

@Ofnuts
I think that the following (untested/uncompiled) code might give the desired result (note that I coded it without the PC on and my offset is from a different point to that used in the diagrams above - short-term memory loss? :-) but the principal is the same):

Code:
gint window_width = ?;
gint line_width = ?;
gint space_width = ?;
gint offset = ?;     /* offset of left of window from the LHS of the preceding line (or where the line
                       would be if it is off the left-hand side of the image) */
gint num_repeats;
gint repeat_width = line_width + space_width;
gint window_spaces;
gint window_samples_to_process = window_width;

if (offset <= line_width)
 window_paces = space_width;
else
 window_spaces = space_width - (repeat_width - offset);

window_samples_to_process -= repeat_width - offset;

num_repeats = window_samples_to_process / repeat_width;

window_spaces += space_width * num_repeats;

window_samples_to_process -= repeat_width * num_repeats;

if (window_samples_to_process > line_width)
 window_spaces += window_samples_to_process - line_width;

The code makes the following assumptions:

1. That the window is >= 1 line/space repeat width
2. The window is completely over the patterned area (not off the left or right-hand side of the image)
3. The offset is always positive
4. The offset is less than one line/space repeat

Of course if the window width is always an integer multiple of the line/space width the calculation becomes much easier:

window_spaces = (window_width / (line_width + space_width)) * space_width

regardless of the position of the window.
My approach is completely different. I noticed that it is sufficient to look at the left and right edges of the window separately and then combine the results. So I worked with one moving edge only which is easier. And I threw in some nice mathematics. I managed to derive a closed formula. It is all in the pdf-file:

.pdf   Ofnuts_problem.pdf (Size: 136.06 KB / Downloads: 77)

The formula is rather complicated, and I don't claim that there would be no easier solutions. And I know from experience that I do make mistakes, so if you find the result useful to you, please read everything carefully and check everything.