Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimizing image extents
Is there a way to reduce the "physical" size of an image to bring the margins in so that's it the minimum size to show everything?  I am converting stamps and signatures (separately) from CAD to jpeg.  The sheet size i'm using Letter (8.5x11).  I used GIMP's Bimp plugin to to a batch image manipulation on the stamps to bring them all down to approx. 2"x2", but i have 30 or so signatures which all differ in height and length.  I'd like to reduce each signature image from Letter down to as small as possible, getting rid of all the empty white space.

I'm new to GIMP and am using v2.10.18

Well, can't figure out how to delete this thread. After poking around, i found the Image > Crop to Content command, which is exactly what i need. Anyone know how to batch this? It's not available in the Bimp add-on.
Aaaand, figured it all out. Bimp's Batch Image Manip has a command for plug-in-autocrop that does the job. "Autocrop" is an old name for "Crop to Content". Thanks, me! You've been a great help! Wink
Well, Not everyone lives in your time zone so please make allowance for that. Then your post got moved & easy to overlook. However pleased you managed a fix on your own.

Quote:..The sheet size i'm using Letter (8.5x11). I used GIMP's Bimp plugin to to a batch image manipulation on the stamps to bring them all down to approx. 2"x2"..

This is a bit concerning, Gimp does not work in inches, it uses pixels and a relation to real world units via a pixel per inch (ppi) setting. So that 2"x 2" all depends on how the CAD files (vectors and scalable) ) are rendered to that jpeg.

You might have 2" x 2" @ 72 ppi = an image 144 pix x 144 pix and poor quality or 2" x 2" @ 300 ppi = 600 x 600 pix and good quality. Just be careful of how you proceed.

Some information on the subject here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Image-size-in-Gimp