Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mouse drag and drop based functions not working
Hey,

A day or so ago I started getting this issue that is making a lot of gimp functions nearly impossible to use. Drag and drop does not work in the gimp interface; to be more specific, things may "drag", but it will not specify a place for them to "drop". If I attempt to drag a layer, for instance, the layer follows my mouse location, but gimp does not show me the black line where it will be dropped, and letting go of the layer does not drop it in a new location, thus making moving the layer this way impossible.

Furthermore, I cannot place dockable dialogues within another ui box with dragging and dropping in this same manner, and, sometimes but not always, mousing along the menus at the top of the window does not open them up - it gets stuck on the first menu it opens.

I am running Gimp on Windows 10, and just updated to the latest Gimp version, but the problem persists.

Any help? This makes using gimp extremely awkward.
Most of those things work although mouse stuck on menu might be a hardware issue.

Come back in a couple of hours and I will knock up a demo video Win10 and Gimp 2.8.22

Your post seems to imply that some used to work but do not work now. What were you using, what has changed with your system?
@BlackholeGP

Have a look at the video, see if it answers any of your questions. 
If you can not reproduce any of the actions, maybe they can be dealt with separately.
Don't always assume that it is a problem with Gimp, keep an open mind and look at other areas, hardware problems, Windows updates, other software interference.

As a summary the video (6 and a half mins) shows
Drag-n-drop to open an image
Drag-n-drop to add an image (open as layers)
Drag-n-drop to move layers from one image to another
Dragging dialogue tabs around
mouse over main menu entries.

Forgot about moving a layer up and down the layer stack but that is just a click and drag here.
Hello! Thank you for responding. My issue was that many of the functions you demonstrated in your above video had seemed to have stopped working - however, while I was fiddling around with my settings, they appear to have started working again, so I no longer have an issue.

Many thanks!
Thanks Rich 2005; frankly, I did not know drag and drop.
(05-29-2017, 01:41 PM)BlackholeGP Wrote: Hello! Thank you for responding. My issue was that many of the functions you demonstrated in your above video had seemed to have stopped working - however, while I was fiddling around with my settings, they appear to have started working again, so I no longer have an issue.

Many thanks!

Its been a long time since you asked this question, but just for the progeny I figured I write  what I found out on this issue. So I've been having the same exact issue for a long time: I haven't been able to move layers around with mouse drag and drop, or do any of the things shown in this youtube video. What i just found out is that, I am using a little program that dims my screen. It must be somehow messing with the way mouse drag/drop functionality, or even mouse clicking works. Earlier I found that in some program I couldn't click on certain things and again this program was to blame. As soon as I close the dimmer, all mouse actions work beautifully! That was what caused the issue for me.
(08-28-2020, 03:33 AM)vincepay Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 01:41 PM)BlackholeGP Wrote: Hello! Thank you for responding. My issue was that many of the functions you demonstrated in your above video had seemed to have stopped working - however, while I was fiddling around with my settings, they appear to have started working again, so I no longer have an issue.

Many thanks!

Its been a long time since you asked this question, but just for the progeny I figured I write  what I found out on this issue. So I've been having the same exact issue for a long time: I haven't been able to move layers around with mouse drag and drop, or do any of the things shown in this youtube video. What i just found out is that, I am using a little program that dims my screen. It must be somehow messing with the way mouse drag/drop functionality, or even mouse clicking works. Earlier I found that in some program I couldn't click on certain things and again this program was to blame. As soon as I close the dimmer, all mouse actions work beautifully! That was what caused the issue for me.

Programs that hook on mouse movements (I assume your dimmer is watching for mouse/keyboard activity) can indeed make things not work (others, properly written, don't). Now, I always assumed that dimming the screen after some inactivity was built-in in Windows...
(05-29-2017, 08:32 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @BlackholeGP

I have that same Bizarro comic enlarged and pinned to the wall above my desk at work.  Big Grin
@BlackholeGP
what settings did you fiddle with because I'm having the same issue.

(05-29-2017, 08:32 AM)rich2005 Wrote: @BlackholeGP

If you can not reproduce any of the actions, maybe they can be dealt with separately.
Don't always assume that it is a problem with Gimp, keep an open mind and look at other areas, hardware problems, Windows updates, other software interference.

As a summary the video (6 and a half mins) shows
Drag-n-drop to open an image
Drag-n-drop to add an image (open as layers)
Drag-n-drop to move layers from one image to another
Dragging dialogue tabs around
mouse over main menu entries.

Forgot about moving a layer up and down the layer stack but that is just a click and drag here.
You couldn't reproduce anything because it's working fine for you. The problem is that it's not working for some. I know how drop and drag works so how does one fix it when it doesn't?
Quote:You couldn't reproduce anything because it's working fine for you. The problem is that it's not working for some. I know how drop and drag works so how does one fix it when it doesn't?

You need to find out what has changed between when it was working and now when it is not working for you.
Might be some new software you installed or new hardware.
I can not solve that problem for you.