Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Move tool: Select layers?
It used to be that when I used the move tool and had it set to "pick a layer or guide" the layer I pick would become the active layer.
Now when I do that it reverts the active layer back to what it was before I moved anything.

Okay, I can see how people might prefer it to work that way.  But its driving me up the wall because that's not the behavior I'm expecting.
How do I switch it back so that "pick a layer" will change the currently-selected layer to whatever layer I click?  Where is the option to make that tool work the way it used to?
I works the same way as previously, In case my memory fails (again) I just gave a Gimp 2.8 a try.

With the move tool toggle in Pick a layer or guide mode Click in the canvas and the layer with the first solid pixel under the cursor becomes active, as you found. Release the mouse and you return to the original active layer, as you found.

You need to click and drag for the move operation, do not release the mouse.

What has changed in Gimp 2.10 ? Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options bottom of that is a tick box, Move Tool > Set layer or path as active
Enable that and it does what it says, the 'found' layer' remains active.

Up to the user to determine if that is the best strategy for them.
(09-30-2021, 07:08 AM)rich2005 Wrote: What has changed in Gimp 2.10 ? Edit -> Preferences -> Tool Options bottom of that is a tick box, Move Tool > Set layer or path as active
Enable that and it does what it says, the 'found' layer' remains active.

Not sure it "changed" because I see it in my 2.8 options (and is not ticked). It could have been set by default in a long distant past, and that value been carried over while migrating the user's profile when installing new versions.