Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving selections under other layers?
Hello GIMP Forum,

I recently installed the new GIMP 2.0.  One problem I've been encountering is that when you try to paste something and that selection is below a layer that is not transparent, you cannot move the selection.   For example, if I'm trying to paste something and it ends up underneath a drawn block on a higher layer, I cannot move the thing I pasted at all.  Is there any way to fix this?
If the layer above is not transparent, you can make it invisible by clicking on the eye in the layers dialogue for that layer.

When you paste something you get a "floating selection". You now have options: 1) Make it a new layer (right click the layer in the layers dialogue and select "to new layer") or 2) Anchor it - it will be merged with the active layer (click the Anchor button in the layers dialogue).

Select the layer that you have just created (pasted it to) in the Layers Dialogue. You can now move it with Move Tool. Or use the Up or Down arrow in the layers dialogue to move it to a higher or lower position.
(08-12-2018, 06:53 PM)Blighty Wrote: If the layer above is not transparent, you can make it invisible by clicking on the eye in the layers dialogue for that layer.

When you paste something you get a "floating selection". You now have  options: 1) Make it a new layer (right click the layer in the layers dialogue and select "to new layer") or 2) Anchor it - it will be merged with the active layer (click the Anchor button in the layers dialogue).

Select the layer that you have just created (pasted it to) in the Layers Dialogue. You can now move it with Move Tool. Or use the Up or Down arrow in the layers dialogue to move it to a higher or lower position.

In older versions of GIMP, you could just move the pasted layer regardless of if it was under anything.  Is there any way to reenable that?
(08-12-2018, 06:56 PM)Jacob_V Wrote: In older versions of GIMP, you could just move the pasted layer regardless of if it was under anything.  Is there any way to reenable that?

Just tested in 2.10. It still does that. The dotted layer boundary is visible for the floating selection.
Did this while above was going on, but for what it is worth.

If the copied then pasted-as-floating-selection is a problem, can you put that as a new layer. The move tool will move that and if move active layer is toggled it will move even when under another layer. The layer boundary will show. Make sure View -> Show Layer Boundary is enabled:

[Image: RJiICVq.jpg]