Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mp3 files became GIMP files
Since downloading GIMP I discovered a file on my external hard drive that consisted of music files, now shows that they are all GIMP 2.10.14 files.  How could this happen and what do I do to change them back to Mp3s?  Of course they will not open in any music players I have.  Anyone with a clue as to what is going on?
Thanks,
Steve Wilson
This is nothing to do with Gimp. It is a Windows thing.

In Windows, go to
Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default apps by file type

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(12-08-2019, 07:53 PM)123stevewilson@gmail Wrote: Since downloading GIMP I discovered a file on my external hard drive that consisted of music files, now shows that they are all GIMP 2.10.14 files.  How could this happen and what do I do to change them back to Mp3s?  Of course they will not open in any music players I have.  Anyone with a clue as to what is going on?
Thanks,
Steve Wilson

Alternatively, you can right click on the icon of one of your mp3 files.

This gives you a menu like shown at stage 1 in the diagram.

Navigate down to <Properties> and select that.  This gives a window as shown at stage 2.

Select a player and click on OK.

The sequence shown changes mp3 files from Windows Media Player to VLC media player as shown at stage 3.

(12-09-2019, 05:56 AM)Blighty Wrote: This is nothing to do with Gimp. It is a Windows thing.

In Windows, go to

Thanks Blighty,  I'll give it a try.
Steve

(12-09-2019, 06:58 AM)Phantom54 Wrote:
(12-08-2019, 07:53 PM)123stevewilson@gmail Wrote: Since downloading GIMP I discovered a file on my external hard drive that consisted of music files, now shows that they are all GIMP 2.10.14 files.  How could this happen and what do I do to change them back to Mp3s?  Of course they will not open in any music players I have.  Anyone with a clue as to what is going on?
Thanks,
Steve Wilson

Alternatively, you can right click on the icon of one of your mp3 files.

This gives you a menu like shown at stage 1 in the diagram.

Navigate down to <Properties> and select that.  This gives a window as shown at stage 2.

Select a player and click on OK.

The sequence shown changes mp3 files from Windows Media Player to VLC media player as shown at stage 3.

Thanks you for your help.
(12-09-2019, 05:56 AM)Blighty Wrote: This is nothing to do with Gimp. It is a Windows thing.

In Windows, go to

Hi Blighty,  I tried what you suggested but Under "Mp3"  Windows Media Player was not listed; only Groove Player.
 Should I choose this?
Thanks,
Steve

Phantom, I tried this and was able to switch mp3 files that with Groove Music icons to Media Player Icons but it didn't seem to work with those that have been switched to GIMP files.
Thanks,
123Steve