Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gimp 2.10.36 appimages with python and mathmap for linux
also posted @ GimpChat Smile

This Gimp version is part of Ubuntu 24.04 'Noble' long term support to be released in April 2024. The apt package is already available and from that we make the AppImages.
These AppImages use an 'overlay filesystem' supported by Ubuntu automatically . Other distros like MX Linux use a 'fuse-overlayfs' . For MX install with: ' sudo apt install fuse-overlayfs '
Tested on Ubuntu 22.04 and MX Linux 23.1. They don't work on earlier systems.

get them here

On the Gimp Ubuntu snap package with python
I found it can be installed with  

Code:
sudo snap install --devmode ./gimp_2.10.34_python2_amd64.snap

It's a bit more relaxed than using the --dangerous switch Smile
These days I have a slow internet and a 330 MB download can take some time, **but** quite quick this morning (must be the snow Wink  )

As a quick try, this your Gimp 2.10.36 appimage in a kubuntu 22.04 Python is working and for a change showing the mathmap 'composer' - great fun

Edit: Another quick try and it does actually work in kubuntu 20.04 as well.
Thanks for trying it on 20.04 Rich.
To make this appimage I told the script load the 'Noble Numbat daily build.
Most people don't realise the LTS builds are ready to use 3 months out from release. It's a chance to get infront of the pack because the pack always think the new LTS is fraught with danger. (I thought that myself 2 weeks ago)

Not so. It's built from Debian and I have realised there is development going both upstream and downstream in the Debian OS cluster Smile