Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My cat walk 5s about PC and change something about fonts,catastrophic mistake
Hi, i have a lot hours work done in GIMP about a boardgame i am doing last 3 weeks. Today my cat start walk in my PC.

My problem: I was using 2 fonts in my cards(the boardgame is with cards), "Arial Bold"(a few) and "Times New Roman Bold"(most), suddenly all related to times new roman was "out of sync" and when i select any these go standard to changing to "DejaVu Serif Bold", i mean if i wanted change any number i have change the font because that go automatically to DejaVu Serif Bold, i calculate how long can it take about 8-10 hours changing if i did manually, a hell since it can happen again in another 5 seconds with my cat or even alone, i try search about this problem, but nothing, please help!!!!
Ofnuts should be of a good help, he has a cat.

More seriously, I would close the xcf WITHOUT saving it then re-open it, OK I would lose a bit of recent work like the previous 15-20mn, but at least I won't pass 10 hours changing fonts...
In all case I found your explanations a bit confuse, like what do you call "out of sync"? please give some screenshots with the problem and the tools' options and dialogs visible in the screenshots, and a more detailed explanations about the problem
[Image: Captura-de-pantalla-2022-08-23-204619.png]
With "out of sync" i mean say what playing an unique button changing about 100 archives XCF? i imagine a layer is up overlapping i did, i unistall GIMP and re-install and even so remain same.

In the capture that "1" is Times New Roman Bold Font, but i select to change that "1" and GIMP select DejaVu Serif Bold font, i don,t understand why,i want what that select Times New Roman Bold Font, the font what that "1" is.

Thanks for reply!!
(08-23-2022, 05:31 PM)PixLab Wrote: Ofnuts should be of a good help, he has a cat.

More seriously, I would close the xcf WITHOUT saving it then re-open it, OK I would lose a bit of recent work like the previous 15-20mn, but at least I won't pass 10 hours changing fonts...
In all case I found your explanations a bit confuse, like what do you call "out of sync"? please give some screenshots with the problem and the tools' options and dialogs visible in the screenshots, and a more detailed explanations about the problem

Not really, I sometimes have one at home, but ain't mineSmile
Have you still got the "Arial" and "Times New Roman" fonts in the Gimp font list? And in other apps (MS Office, Libre Office...), since they are system fonts?
Did you tried to click there, to reload the fonts?
[Image: Yop2bHU.png]

If this does not work, close GIMP, then go to your GIMP user profile ➤ C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\, inside there is a folder named "2.10" rename the folder 2.10 to "2.10-backup", and restart GIMP
This will force GIMP to re-scan all the fonts on your microsoft's windows, by doing so GIMP will re-create a new 2.10 folder (new user profile) as well, thus your preferences will not appear (it's in the now "2.10-back" folder), but you will have reset GIMP to its default setting and your fonts problem should have disappeared.
Done and not working incredibly, i needed your tutorial at "https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/GIMPProfile/" to find the folder(was hidden) renaming the folder(2.10) with GIMP off, re starting GIMP and the same before. The fonts are actually, yes, "Times new roman" and "Arial" are working.

Ten years ago same thing happened to me, i can,t understand it, how pressing a button ruined me more 50 hours work in 1 second.

Thanks for reply!!! Good info really, some new idea??

EDIT: I think what even fonts when i use File/Open are changed in case it was of any use.
Quote:...Ten years ago same thing happened to me, i can,t understand it, how pressing a button ruined me more 50 hours work in 1 second...

After ten years maybe now is the time to start making rolling backups, at least some of your work saved in case of accidents.
A plugin in the attachment here https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...7#pid30787 can save at predetermined intervals.